Pulborough Brooks couple of quick IDs...

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Blimey it was hot! My second day out with hired 300mm F4 IS and my 1.4 TC. Again my photography skills let the whole thing down but here are a couple for you.

1) I know wha this is and feel lucky to have even seen it! Then again I am no hardened birder or photographer for that matter!

4663845810_a5c408be94_b.jpg

2) This cropped up in the next bush over. Not sure what it was. Initially though it was another 1, but now I don't. Is it a whitethroat of some sort? Warbler? I am well stuck!

4663846490_ec8fe27ec8_b.jpg

All help welcome! I will post some of the other stuff later on when I have been through the photos from Barnes and Pulborough.

Looks like I will answer my own questions then. :(

1 is a Nightingale. There is at least one nesting pair at Pulborough who do pop out to say hello quite frequently, just not anywhere you can get a piccy!

2 after further research is a Whitethroat.

Yes you have answered your own questions correctly. If I'd seen this thread yesterday I would have replied! :) I took some pix of this nightingale (or its mate) as well last week. So special to see one! And there is loads of whitethroats at PB. :)

Yes you have answered your own questions correctly. If I'd seen this thread yesterday I would have replied! :) I took some pix of this nightingale (or its mate) as well last week. So special to see one! And there is loads of whitethroats at PB. :)

I know! They were singing on top of most of the bushes! The Nightingales are a real treat and so close. Shame the Brooks themselves are quite so empty. All of the action is in the woods. (Thanks for responding too!)

Last edited:
Yes...my favourite place is the picnic area anyway - always loads going on there. Nightingales, whitethroats, blackcaps, other warblers (garden, willow, chiffchaff), wrens, chaffinches...and if you look up, there's swifts, swallows and I saw a peregrine falcon and a hobby last time! PB is just a fantastic place for birders. :)

Yes...my favourite place is the picnic area anyway - always loads going on there. Nightingales, whitethroats, blackcaps, other warblers (garden, willow, chiffchaff), wrens, chaffinches...and if you look up, there's swifts, swallows and I saw a peregrine falcon and a hobby last time! PB is just a fantastic place for birders. :)

I was quite lucky spotting wise. Saw quite a bit. I will post up more when I have been through all of the piccies!

Back