Pulling in the wildlife, bugs, bees and butterflies

Edit My Images
Yes
I am about to have my front garden planted, what are your best tips for plants to pull in the wildlife, all year round.

I have a ton of bird feeders, hidden in a wild rose bush, but effectively I am starting from scratch with everything else, including having a deep pond put in.

If you have the room a couple of others that are good for wildlife are

Fatsia japonica. It is not a native but it flowers in late autumn/winter so provides food for insects at a time when there is not much blossom around, and

an apple tree. There are lots of varieties some are self fertile and there are root stocks suitable for gardens of all sizes. In the spring it will look good and attract insects and in the autumn you'll get fruit and the fruit that drops and/or rots will be eaten by a number of birds and by wasps. Smaller birds often check the branches for bugs too.

Dave

thanks everyone, I have an apple tree, ill look at all the links, I have 3 small chilfren and really want to play with lens at home

Buddleja davidii is commonly known as the Butterfly Bush but can be a bit invasive in smaller gardens.

Buddleja davidii is commonly known as the Butterfly Bush but can be a bit invasive in smaller gardens.

As nod suggests a Buddleja will have butterflies in your garden as soon as it blooms. We find it best to cut it right down in the winter and it will grow to a nice size before flowering the following year. We didn't cut it back last year, and this year it's huge :D

I discovered that we have a bee hive (bumbles) in our compost bin at the weekend. Doesn't help you much but maybe one of these bug houses you see would be a good idea?

Id love a bee hive - Ive got loads of plants and herbs etc. I got a larhe Fatsia japonica. Very excited.

Back