Pulling out the big guns

Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a rather decrepit 1948 Press King 4x5 camera a few months back, and finally ran a few test sheets through it. It has a few minor issues needing repair, but I wanted to be sure there were no major issues (shutter, bellows, glass occlusions) before I sank any money into it.

So, here's a test shot of my daughter with our dog. If you've ever shot large format gear, you know what a challenge it is! If you haven't, well -- I'll just say I was very impressed that girl and dog both managed to stay still as statues for a solid thirty seconds or so. ;)

sophandpiperov5.jpg

I'm pleased to report that the camera seems to work perfectly, and the lens quality is good. Gotta love negatives that are nearly five inches across!

- CJ

Five inches? That's madness.

You know, that photo looks old, even though it was taken recently. Odd, isn't it.
It looks good too. Come to think of it, maybe a filter wouldn't be bad to prevent blowing out some of the highlights.

Still, the photo looks nice and the camera still has a decent kick, as it would seem.

Thanks, Slapo. Actually, the highlights only appear bright on screen. This is a very quick neg scan, which introduces all sorts of issues.

You should see the prints from these negs, though. Wow. They look like you could walk right into them.

- CJ

5x4 is just a baby slapo. For when you need to be able to travel and keep the gear nicely portable. ;) 10x8 b&w contact prints, now that's something really special.

5x4 is such a lovely way to work isn't it CJ. It's just so sensual and absorbing. I've not shot any sheet film for a little while now but there was a time the world just didn't look right if it wasn't upside down and back to front. :D

Is it just me or is this forum full of older people ;)

Your right it is. I've found the best way to cope is to try and blend in. ;):LOL:

What willing / patient models you have :D

I'll be doing some large format work in a month or so, I can't wait!

I look forward to seeing some more from this "new" bit of kit :)

Back