Pultney Bridge & Weir

Edit My Images
Yes
Somebody linked to this site http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/ on this site at some point and I found it rather inspiring. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of my earlier equipment I haven't been able to try some of the techniques until tonight. The process went as follows..... (for those who find this sort of thing interesting)

1) Consume wine

2) try to persuade flatmate to come along as security (fail dismaly)

3) drink more wine

4) take 4 exposures for shadows, then 4 for highlights. (same exposure setting for each group)

5) layer the 2 groups of 4 shots together at varying opacities to minimise noise

6) layer the two remaining images, highlight image on top of dark, use select->color range->highlights->inverse and then make a layer mask from the selection, blur at about 40px and then adjust final opacity to suit.

It's a bit of a hack and an alternative to HDR (praise the lord!) but it works ok.

Hope you like them and please excuse my drunkard waffling, but I'm sure you're all used to it by now ;)

17042006-13.jpg

17042006-16.jpg

darklayer.jpg

It works for me mate - very nice! :)

Nikon Coolpix cameras had a cool idea for noise reduction called Clear Image Mode. Since noise is random in each shot what this mode did was take two identical images then combine them in camera processing, eliminating any spots and artifacts not common to both images. Processing took forever, but it worked well on noise reduction. Unfortunately it pretty well totally bolloxed the definition in the process. :D

How you getting on with that DSLR then? :suspect1:

I used the D70's dark frame subtraction noise thing for this. Works ok, but every second counts when the homeless cider boys are eyeing up your kit and equating it to pints of diamond white!

Having immense fun but missing my flip out lcd viewfinder, it aint much fun stooping over to look through a tiny viewfinder. Zigiview coming after my first paycheck!

Sigma 10-20mm is due to arrive monday and then an 18-200mm VR when I can find one, rare as hens teeth at the mo. then the fun really starts!

oh, it was a rhetorical question? :) :) :)

Excellent, especially the final shot, although I would be totally satisfied to have taken any of them.

Really like the golden colours:thumb:

cracking set of pictures gandhi, i put the link in here as it inspired me too, i even went to cambridge as well, but unfortunately i haven't managed to capture anything as good as yet.
TFS

Great work Ghandhi! I will make a note to self to have a go at the above technique (including wine!).:beer: :beer:

it aint much fun stooping over to look through a tiny viewfinder

Welcome to your new world. :D

Wait untill you've got the camera wedged into a corner somewhere and what you really need to do is climb all over someones sofa but you know you'll get caught. ;)

Superb pics there. :cool:

Well, the 10-20mm arrived today, so I'll be going out and having a play with that later now.

Had my first day of training for my new job today. Been told that it's ok to 'tactfully' suggest things to vendors to make the shots better ;) climbing over sofas may be one of them!

Back