Punch & Judy In a Storm!

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
Well the sky looks fairly manacing anyways :)
Taken in Swanage yesterday on the ol' kit lens :)

hdr-punch.jpg

Thats brilliant

love the emptiness of it

it would make a good album cover

well done (y)

Fantastic. As a newbie tog I'd love to know how you achieve this.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm really lucky that nobody was on the beach and the deck chairs were out, all in pairs, and empty :)

The23rdman..
I shot in RAW and in lightroom made 3 seperate exposures (-4 -2 0) then tonemapped in "Dynamic Photo HDR4". Then loaded up into PS and sharpened then reduced noice and burned in the sky a little bit more. hope this helps

HDR...........

Thats the way to do it.....................

See post 5 (y)

Sorry...Overcooked

Keith
Why be sorry? not everyone is going to like this image because of the processing.. at least I didn't put "HDR!!!" in the title... even though it's just tonemapped :nuts:

For me this passes from photography to art. You picked a great subject and have created a great piece of art though ;)

Graham
Thank you..
As a straight photo, even with the right curves and burning applied, it still lack some artistic punch and tonemapping allowed me to get the sky I wanted without destroying the landscape (y)

Thank you..
As a straight photo, even with the right curves and burning applied, it still lack some artistic punch and tonemapping allowed me to get the sky I wanted without destroying the landscape (y)

I would just add that in my opinion the focus of this shot should lie in the puppet show against the empty beach. The sky has dominated the picture to steal the limelight and lose the point somewhat.

Just my thoughts. Still a striking image though.

Graham

I really like this a lot.
I woud be really proud of this.

Great shot Trev, luv the dotted about deckchairs and the way they colour match the Punch and Judy theatre. Very good Mate (y)

Yep over done it all I think, I didn't get home untill 11.45pm after starting out at 7:30am :eek:

There was talks of a Portsmouth am - Gosport pm waterfront meet with pub lunch soon, just waiting for the funny hours workers to get their fingers out and post up a few dates.

This is a very nice shot, I think it looks like a scene out of 28 days later. Did you post process much to make the sky that contrasty?

Hi Trev
Lots of impact.
The sky certainly dominates the shot.
The beach scene looks packed with potential.
Think you could have made more of it.
You could have fired off a few shots to left of PJ box and got closer in, making this dominate shot with chairs in mid-ground and town & sky in BG.
Nevertheless the HDR effect works quite well.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm really lucky that nobody was on the beach and the deck chairs were out, all in pairs, and empty :)

The23rdman..
I shot in RAW and in lightroom made 3 seperate exposures (-4 -2 0) then tonemapped in "Dynamic Photo HDR4". Then loaded up into PS and sharpened then reduced noice and burned in the sky a little bit more. hope this helps

Thank you. :)

I really like it too :). I would never have guessed it was 'HDR' - looks more like you just selectively boosted the contrast on the sky, to me :shrug:.

The only thing that I can think of to possibly improve on it, would be to crop equal amounts from the top and bottom and give it a slightly 'longer' look. This way, you not only reduce the area of the sky (which isn't doing much at the top edge of the image anyway) and you also make the beach look even emptier, by making it seem even longer :shrug:!?

The current crop looks almost like a 4/3 format, although I haven't measured it.

Just a thought ;).

I really like it too :). I would never have guessed it was 'HDR' - looks more like you just selectively boosted the contrast on the sky, to me :shrug:.

The only thing that I can think of to possibly improve on it, would be to crop equal amounts from the top and bottom and give it a slightly 'longer' look. This way, you not only reduce the area of the sky (which isn't doing much at the top edge of the image anyway) and you also make the beach look even emptier, by making it seem even longer :shrug:!?

The current crop looks almost like a 4/3 format, although I haven't measured it.

Just a thought ;).

Thanks..
I cropped it to 10" x 8" format as thats what i sell my pictures at.. but i know what you mean. (y)

Likewise, I am not a big fan of those 3 letters, but in all honesty, this is well done, certainly on the laptop this is not too bad overcooked at all. The big giveaway for me is the sky, but not the cloud formations, the contrast variations in the blue colouring.

Nice job.

Thanks Chewy, I know what you mean about the variations in the sky colouring but I still love it. In fact quite a few locals have already bought the image from me :) Chuffed to bits.

Loving this - processing is to my tastes and the emptiness and, almost, sadness of the scene is great!

If I had to make one minor change it would be to put more space between the frame and the rightmost pair of deckchairs but thats easy to say after the event!

Great shot! Love to see more! :)

Loving this - processing is to my tastes and the emptiness and, almost, sadness of the scene is great!

If I had to make one minor change it would be to put more space between the frame and the rightmost pair of deckchairs but thats easy to say after the event!

Great shot! Love to see more! :)

Agreed about the space on the right. massive learning curve this.
Thanks for your comments. (y)

Back