Punto MK2 1.8 HGT (Broom Yellow)

Name
Mathew
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out a few weeks ago in the car as had put new wheels on the car and took these down some lanes between lichfield/burntwood

304328_290861357692915_444250142_n.jpg

579132_290860981026286_1508832376_n.jpg

44524_290860914359626_2008738871_n.jpg

Think i need to get some improved angles. But im really happy with the 1st one. What do you guys think to it, wouldnt mind some more pointers.

Thanks

lower or higher perspective, room to move in too, CPL.
then, think about whats behind the subject.

I would crop number 3 to remove the left quarter or third and get rid of the overly prominent lamp pole and driveway entrance.

Something like this

8232511322_a04dfa4eb0_b.jpg

Last edited:
these have potential but are just missing that something. What lens/settings did you use?

they also dont look fully sharp, especially the last one near the numberplate.

nice wee car, great colour to photograph!

lower or higher perspective, room to move in too, CPL.
then, think about whats behind the subject.

Cheers, ye ive got to be honest didnt think how overpowering the telephone poles would be :(

I would crop number 3 to remove the left quarter or third and get rid of the overly prominent lamp pole and driveway entrance.

Something like this

8232511322_a04dfa4eb0_b.jpg

That looks better, cheers ive never really touched a photo I just show them how i took them but could be better to crop as that shows

these have potential but are just missing that something. What lens/settings did you use?

they also dont look fully sharp, especially the last one near the numberplate.

nice wee car, great colour to photograph!

They were using my 28-90mm. All setting on manual with ISO 100 and not sure on the other settings off the top of my head

Not bad, If it were me I'd try and slightly over expose the pictures, it seems like you've adjusted your settings for the background light rather than foreground light, give the shots a kind of under exposed feel, I gave the shot Dave cropped a quick edit using soft light layers to make the car pop out from the background a touch more, hope you don't mind :)

8232934429_c08e73a54e_o.jpg

As Marc said really, while they may be correctly exposed for the scene, the car almost wants to be overexposed to make it pop, especially with the bright yellow of the car.

Don't get disheartened, get out there and just mess around with angles etc. also, there's no real need to use ISO100, 200 or even 400 will still be noise free and allow a shutter speed where camera shake won't be visible.

Cheers, i dont tend to have high exposures as the sky tends to go funny and im not a fan but i could mess around with doing the car.

I dont get disheartened, ill learn to be ok one day haha

And ye i havnt really tried higher ISO as i did once and they came out proper horrible so decided to leave it in 100 for now haha

An ISO up to 400 is usually safe and won't hurt image quality, I used to be like you, I never edited an image, now all my photo's get some form of PP to fix/add/remove, don't be so against touching your shots, when you say the sky goes all funny, that's very easily fixed in Lightroom, I used to consider editing as cheating, but you'll find it hard to progress your final images unless you start Post Processing them, it's tedious, but in the end it's worth it

I know what you mean, i have photoshop CS5 but not lightroom yet, but i will have that in a few weeks when ive met my mate and got a copy.

The time consuming bit doesnt bother me as im trained in computer game design/3d modelling and doubt it could be much more tedious haha.

Thanks for the advice when i get a better weather day i will have to pop out and experiment again

Photoshop can actually edit an image far more than Lightroom. It's what I use for client work. Use photoshop to process the raw, there you can reduce the highlights and pull back a slightly overexposed sky.

As said they are decent shots, best way to improve is to take even more! Think about what you're including in the composition, take your time.

Have a soft spot for these cars, my ex's parents had one and coincidentally it was the same colour and had the same reg plate bar the last two digits...they must have been registered at the same time

Ye im hoping to go out later in my other one later. To try and take some different shots.

Ye they are amazing cars. Ive had 3 now. The 1.2 8v (my show one) 1.2 16v ( gone as engine blew twice) and this one which is the 1.8 16v hgt running around 150bhp. I know most things about mk2 puntos but as me about photography and i get confused haha.

Cheers for the advice all of you.

First one is the best, rest have areas that the flash hasn't quite got to. Problem with using speed lights really. Try taking 2 images and blending them together to make sure you don't have darker areas. Gives you an effective 3/4 flashes, more per photo.

The umbrellas seem to be strangling the light from the flashes, if it where me I'd ditch the umbrellas and use the raw light from the speedlites, here is a shot using 3 speedlites all pointing directly at the car

image-8_zpsb53986da.jpg

It will depend on your placement of the units, usually take a couple of test shots and keep moving the flashes until you're happy with the stock shot

Look forward to seeing the results :)

For car work you generally don't want any modifiers on the front, maybe gels but that's it. All of my stuff is shot just with the flashes bare, just a reflector on

Definitely an improvement over the start of the thread, the last shot using the flashes though doesn't actually look like flashes were used, just looks like a long exposure, take your time when setting up the flashes, take plenty of test shots

Looking at that shot with the flash actually in it gives a little more insight to how your setting them up, basically, you're always going to want the flashes pointed away from the camera with a 2 flash setup, it'll light the paintwork up better and hide those nasty swirls too!

Take a look at my latest photos to see roughly how I set the lights up, fisheyes you can see them.

Effectively, one on the side, one on the front, both about head height, pointing down, camera inbetween them. Thats the basic setup.

Keep at it though, already come a long since your first stuff :)

cheers you pair.

Ye ive been looking Matt, mine i have that one, one round the front left then one basically next to me higher to lighten up the interior abit. Couldnt experienment much there as the ground was unstable due to snow haha. But i see what you mean yours were alot higher than mine. Hopefully do some more tests this week see how i get on. Hopefully in a completly dark location to see how that changes things

Don't try to light the interior using a light outside the car. Spend some time seeing how the light spreads from flashes, the place them to utilise the most light possible

Back