Puppies! + photobox groan.

Jo , Why are you not printing the photos yourself ?

Nope I am looking at them using my calibrated macbook pro (with the gorgeous 17" hi-res screen :love:) and I am viewing the same page in both firefox and safari (safari uses a system where colours are exact unlike explorer or firefox).

The colours are perfectly ok on both browsers although the fourth one is slightly yellowER as if it could have done with maybe a bit more light. I though would be chuffed with them.

Now I now this might sound a bit daft but I have used Tesco for the past few hundred shots and they in turn use Kodak paper and a kodak machine. They will do the shots whilst you wait and they are cheap! I think people are put off because they are a supermarket but my last batch of 25 10x8 prints were fantastic quality.

Why not give them a go, at £1.20 for 10x8 or 12x8 you could at least give your customer something to be going on with. I have not tried them out with canvas yet and I have not done a side by side comparison but I have held them up against my monitor and all the colours are spot on.

I think you're getting confused with what calibration means here - it doesn't just mean it's calibrated to show a proper white/black/gamma range but that it's calibrated to something else - in this case, their printer

Having your monitor calibrated to the printer you're using is a good thing (y)

IMO though, using Photobox for anything at all is a bag thing :thumbsdown:

My only experience of them has been shoddy to say the least. Using a pure white background (CS3 said it was 255,255,255) I expected the images returned to be white too, they were grey. I complained, they reprinted, they were grey - they also sent most of them bent too

As for the pics - very ingenious use of the lights :clap: - but for me shooting a fluffy pooch on a fluffy rug wasn't such a good idea

If you ever get a decent print though, the client will love them

DD

I think you're getting confused with what calibration means here - it doesn't just mean it's calibrated to show a proper white/black/gamma range but that it's calibrated to something else - in this case, their printer

I would suggest that when we mean calibrated the majority of us will mean that the monitor is calibrated using a device like the HUEY PRO or similar. I can see this as I have some professional colour swatches showing their colour value. If I type this into illustrator I get a colour and when displayed on screen this matches the colour swatch. Therefore the display is ok.

Now if my printer is also calibrated and I now print the page from illustrator the colour swatch should again be the same colour.

It is also possible to get a calibrated scanner but as i've gone completely digital I wouldn't personally bother....

Now if our photo developers have their machines calibrated too (as you would expect) then we should expect the same output.....

Obviously this will never be absolutely bang on but you should expect it to be close. I have found my calibrated monitor / printer and Tescos to be VERY close. I once took a picture in to them that looked ok but did not match my printers output and spoke to the lad. He obviously knew what he was doing and checked and low and behold their printer was out and he reprinted the photo for my whilst I waited.

Back