Purchase Guarantee

alexkidd

D.O.N.K.E.Y.
Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
Didn't quite know where to post this so feel free to move it wherever it's better suited mods :)

anyhow to the point, after buying something 2nd hand off someone online/wherever really what do most people think is a reasonable length of period for return?

if it worked for 1 day/1week/1month etc then failed would it be reasonable to expect to return it?

reason i ask is a problem i'm having with a seller i've recently dealt with so figured i'd guage majority concensus on whether i'm being reasonable or not

cheers, i did have a look at it but didn't know whether it was right :D

obviously it does but 3:30 am does weird things to the mind eh? :)

It depends really on what it is you've bought and whether the seller was a private individual or a business. If a business then you are protected under various different pieces of legislation, again depending on what you've bought, how old it is, how it was described etc.

If on the other hand you bought from a private seller, and assuming the description was accurate, then it's pretty much caveat emptor I'm afraid...

aye private seller unfortunately, my first burn as it were which obviously puts me off purchasing person to person (online) in the future :(

description as i remember it was full working order yet after just over 2 weeks after purchase and little usage it's broken :(

Last edited:
Buyer Beware as they don't say in Latin.

If you buy secondhand and it was as described, then its really down to the generosity or conscience of the vendor. They are under no obligation to do anything about it.

If you buy secondhand from a trader, there may be a guarantee of some sort.. If there isn't they have to make you aware of it when buying.

I wouldn't say you have been "burned" in this transaction, items can develop a fault at any time, you have been using it for two weeks and it is your misfortune the fault developed whilst in your ownership:shrug:

What would you have done if you were the seller and and he/she were the buyer in this sale, would you have refunded:shrug:

If the answer to the above is yes I will certainly look out for your sales in the future:D

As said above, if the item was received in the condition it was described in then you don't have any comeback.

as said, you will just have to accept it will be down to bad luck, i had a similar thing happen with a laptop i bought, nothing that could be done

From Money Saving Expert

However buy second hand goods from private sellers and you've only a right that the product is correctly described and the owner has the right to sell it. Here it's caveat emptor or let the buyer beware. If the buyer says nothing and no description and you buy it – then that's it – even if it doesn't do what you thought it may – you were not missold.

Back