Push processing B/W film

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Anybody know if you can tell if a film has been pushed or not, other than an increase in grain?

I thought, from my bad memory, that the edge numbers often looked a bit darker, almost flared out slightly :shrug:

The reason I ask, is I sent 3 films off for processing, and I asked them to be pushed 1 stop and I don't they were.

Another sign is slightly increased contrast

And a slightly increased invoice.. But on the whole it is pretty hard to definitively tell. The grain will be slightly more pronounced, too, but for a 1 stop push I reckon you would have to compare it like-for-like with another roll of the same film developed in the same way/developer/machine, i.e by them, of similar subjects.

Thanks folks.

I suspect it wasn't pushed, fortunately it was just mucking about with my first film shots, but would have been nice to have got some half decent results.

Hopefully I should be able to salvage something from 1 stop under exposed.

Mark, if it actually is under exposed and you are scanning you may find you have a slightly easier time of it anyway, the less dense begs will give your scanner less of a hard time than overexposed.

In reality with black and white if it really is only one stop you most likely wouldn't be able to tell unless you have some known brightness values in the frame anyway

Back