Pushed film and reciprocity failure

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a sanity check really, if I push a 400 film to 800, it halves the exposure time, so am I correct in assuming that I just look up the halved time on the reciprocity chart and use the appropriate values? Is there anything that I have missed?

Also when processing the pushed film, are the values on massive dev chart usually OK? I'm using Ilford Delta 400 and thinking of pushing to 800, processing in HC 110 -
https://www.digitaltruth.com/devcha...r=%HC-110%&mdc=Search&TempUnits=C&TimeUnits=D

Just a sanity check really, if I push a 400 film to 800, it halves the exposure time, so am I correct in assuming that I just look up the halved time on the reciprocity chart and use the appropriate values? Is there anything that I have missed?

Also when processing the pushed film, are the values on massive dev chart usually OK? I'm using Ilford Delta 400 and thinking of pushing to 800, processing in HC 110 -
https://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=%Ilford+Delta+400%&Developer=%HC-110%&mdc=Search&TempUnits=C&TimeUnits=D

What are you shooting that you need to worry about pushing and reciprocity?

I've not looked at the new Ilford charts but the reciprocity for delta is nothing like as bad as its was made out to be using the old one size fits all graph.

Last edited:
Reciprocity failure is all about the exposure time, not about nominal film speed or exposure index or whatever calculations it took to get to the exposure time...

What are you shooting that you need to worry about pushing and reciprocity?
Pinholes, it's all @Nomad Z 's fault
Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day 2018

Reciprocity failure is all about the exposure time, not about nominal film speed or exposure index or whatever calculations it took to get to the exposure time...
I get that, I think, I suppose my concern is that the reciprocity curve is different for pushed film than it would be for box speed but absent anything else I'll just try it, assuming we get some half decent weather.

If you're on a tripod I'd not bother pushing and just accept the longer times personally.
Accept and enjoy! I find there's something quite magical about shooting long (5-20+ minute) exposures with a pinhole camera. People stop to talk . Some wait patiently behind you until you notice them and usher them on. You can enjoy every cup of whatever you've poured in your thermos. Time passes but you capture its transience. Deliberate. Decide. Compose. Expose. Relax.

In case you hadn't realised, I quite enjoy pinhole photography.

One thing I've never tried is a night time shot and the camera set on "B" on a tripod and then walk around lighting things up with a torch.....a shot on win 10 welcome picture was the sun had just set below the horizon and in the foreground was a very small lake (well large pool of water) and a tree that was lit up and I reckon the guy used the car's headlights or maybe a friend to fire a flash gun.

Back