Pushing 400 to 6400, anyone?

Name
Wojtek K
Edit My Images
No
Have you ever tried?

I do realise that the quality loss will be massive, but I just wonder how much information will be lost. I am looking for maximum grain and very harsh contrast, plus totally black shadows.

I can try myself with Tri-x or so, but just wondered if anyone did it? :)

I've never tried pushing Tri-X film, but quite a while ago I did try Ilford Delta 3200 and shot a roll at 6400. I used Microphen to process it. It was certainly grainy, but if you want more grain, Ilford claim this film can be used at 12,500 ISO and even 25,000.

On their fact sheets, it mentions it has an ISO speed rating of 1000, but it's recommended range is supposed to be from 1600 to 6400. To tell you the truth, I've only ever used maybe 4 rolls or so, and I remember exposing a couple at 3200 and another at 1600 using the same developer.

See below for speed ratings and development times if you want to give it a try:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200613019405339.pdf

tri-x has been sucessfully pushed futher than that. The first place I can remeber atm is here (link to rangefinderforum), that guy shoots (or shot) tri-x a lot, pushed really far.

I heard somewhere about it being used at higher than 12500, up in the 50k range but cant find it atm

Back