Put SD card in iMac disk slot by mistake

Edit My Images
Yes
in my excitement to see my wonderful photos I wasn’t looking and it’s gone right in.
Anyone know how to get the back off.?

^^ What he said - very easy to get screen off the 'fat' iMacs, it's held on by magnets - no glue, and you can get to the drives etc easily (relatively!).

You can do it without suction cups if necessary, just pry away gently at the top with a flat knife until you can get your fingers in.

Agreed easy job just be carefull you don’t pull it to far apart ,very thin wires inside , be a good time to give the inside a hoover out to use a very thin nozzle . . You’ll be surprised how cool it runs afterwards

I can't see any merit at all in taking the screen off unless you intend to take the drive out to resolve this. Once inside you'll see that the optical drive is still fully encased so you'll still have the same problem. Absolute last resort but there are way easier ways to sort this normally.

I would suggest first trying to fish it out with a plastic rule or something similarly soft. You could also turn computer on its side and see if gravity might help you out.

Last edited:
Chris. The word Muppetry comes to mind

I've done worse. Attempting to buy a travel card from a Metro station machine when jetlagged in the US (at least that is my excuse), I shoved my only debit card in the slot that is supposed to dispense the travel card, where it predictably jammed. A member of staff took pity on me and fished it out with a multitool. Which was embarrassing, but less embarrassing than being deported for having no money (or bloody stupidity).

Over the years I've seen all sorts of items pushed into slot loading Apple drives, toy plastic coins, euro's, credit cards, even a card of rennies. Children often have fun seeing what they can push in. More recently lots of SD cards, as the two slots are adjacent. Very very rarely will shaking it on its side be effective. Only removing the glass, then the LCD, then the optical drive be effective. Once the optical drive is out, shaking it with the slot downwards may be effective, it may poke through the hairy slot. Usually the small screws around the side and some aluminium foil tape needs to be removed before lifting up the metal plate and extracting the SD card. If dismantling the iMac yourself 4 cables from the LCD need disconnecting. They are shorter on the 21.5" iMac, and easier to remove on the 27". Pull the LCD too far back while dismantling and and you rip of a connector on the logic board, that will write it off. Try to keep fingerprints and dust of the glass and LCD, they aren't easy to remove. And make sure it's unplugged from the mains before you work on it, the power supply PCB isn't covered and could give you a nasty shock.

Over the years I've seen all sorts of items pushed into slot loading Apple drives, toy plastic coins, euro's, credit cards, even a card of rennies. Children often have fun seeing what they can push in. More recently lots of SD cards, as the two slots are adjacent. Very very rarely will shaking it on its side be effective. Only removing the glass, then the LCD, then the optical drive be effective. Once the optical drive is out, shaking it with the slot downwards may be effective, it may poke through the hairy slot. Usually the small screws around the side and some aluminium foil tape needs to be removed before lifting up the metal plate and extracting the SD card. If dismantling the iMac yourself 4 cables from the LCD need disconnecting. They are shorter on the 21.5" iMac, and easier to remove on the 27". Pull the LCD too far back while dismantling and and you rip of a connector on the logic board, that will write it off. Try to keep fingerprints and dust of the glass and LCD, they aren't easy to remove. And make sure it's unplugged from the mains before you work on it, the power supply PCB isn't covered and could give you a nasty shock.
thanks Steve,youve helped me make a decision.
F,,ck the SD card :ROFLMAO:

It'd bug the hell out of me. Haven't you got an independent Mac repair guy in your town ?

DON’T take the screen off unless you know what you are doing - the bit that’s magnetic and comes off easy is just a plastic cover and you’ll need to then remove the actual screen which has about 8 screws (quite recessed) in either side. From there you need to be very careful about removing the connectors as the cables are quite short.
That’s not the real issue though as it easy fairly self explanatory. It’ll be that 1) you’re not ESD safe and could F up your mac, and 2) that screen is an absolute b*****d for dust and without the right tools, you’ll be looking at bits of fluff between it and the plastic forever!

Obviously try tipping it sideways and giving the Mac a shake, it won’t harm it.
Otherwise I would get something about the same thickness as a credit card but a bit longer if possible and feel in there for where the SD card is, then stick some double sided sellotape to your apparatus and try to fish it out. I’ve had 100% success doing this but it takes a little patience!!

Last edited:
Glad my method worked. Amazed people pull their macs apart for this.

Sd card is on the back now so I guess this doesn’t happen any more but it’s not exactly a convenient place to put it.

Back