PX or sell private?

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to upgrade to a 7D and 70-300 L ,
so will i get a better deal if i px in store or sell private?
got no idea what shops offer dont really want to get just £50 off for my stuff.
do the px prices differ from store to store?

The best place for Part EX in my experience is MPB - they are internet only but damn good people to deal with (theres normally a click through ad at the top of the forum)

that aside if you can get in the classifieds here (25 posts and 2 months membership) thats the best place to sell privately and you'll probably get more than the part ex value

cheers pete
didnt fancy selling on e-bay.
just want to hand my stuff over for nice new things!

FWIW I recently bought a low actuations , mint 450D with grip and 4 batteries from MPB for £330 - course they need to make a profit so they arent going to offer that much in part ex - but then again you wont get that much privately either as people buy from MPB (et al) for the security and peace of mind of buying from a dealer.

Personally i'd say given that you wont get much for it , it might be worth keeping the 450 as a second body - unless of course you cant afford the 7D without the part ex

Ask for a quote from places like Mifsuds or MPB, but unless you are in a rush I'd sell it on here.

i just took a look at mbp, i think i'll shop there, the prices are often better than ebay

When I got my 1D MkIV I looked into part exchanging my 7D. The offers I got were depressingly low - <£900 for the camera (immaculate, 5000 clicks, 8 months old with genuine grip and two genuine batteries) and 15-85.

Oggy said:
When I got my 1D MkIV I looked into part exchanging my 7D. The offers I got were depressingly low - <£900 for the camera (immaculate, 5000 clicks, 8 months old with genuine grip and two genuine batteries) and 15-85.

Part exchange is the easiest way of getting rid of your gear but it'll always be at the lowest price

Everybody moans about eBay fees but it's only eBay that has allowed us to realise such high prices for our gear

If it wasn't for eBay there wouldn't be the constant upgrading because we just wouldn't take a 50% hit every 12 months

Even prices on here would be dictated by part exchange prices because they'd be the benchmark

Personally I'd never px because it'd just feel like I was throwing money away

Back