Pylon Cables look twisted no matter size of image?

On the Huh

Little Ball of Fur
Name
Zulfi
Edit My Images
Yes
The overhead cables in the photie are no problem when at 50% (e.g.), but the Pylon cables still look weird. How do I get them to look normal please.Snout-Stour-Bdg-sml.gif

How do they look at 100%? I suspect what you're seeing in the downsized versions is the effect of over sharpening.

Very strange. I used to get that effect with power lines when I viewed the picture on an Asus monitor. However when I changed to a Dell Ultrasharp monitor the lines were displayed perfectly.

I never thought to try this, but could you try rotating the picture 90° so that the lines are in the vertical plane just to see if the problem still exists.

I have no idea how to find a useable solution.

Alan...They are the same on the RAW file.
Arclight...I will look on another monitor. I will also rotate and see if the problem disappear.
Thank you both for commenting.

Even the overhead power lines for the railway line look affected!

These thoughts occur to me:-

It is sort of moire effect
A windy day causing the cables to move & twist
The sun was reflecting off of the cables in a dappled manner

Maybe even all the above conspiring to create the effect!

The frequency of the effect is very low when the lines are close to horizontal, and increases the more they deviate from horizontal. It's therefore a variant of the staircase pixelation effect on sharp edges which aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical, very probably exaggerated by oversharpening. When you say it's still there in the RAW file, that probably means that whatever the default sharpening is that's being applied to process your RAW file into something visible is still too much for this particularly critical kind of high contrast thin detail. Look again, turning the sharpening right down to zero, and then seeing how much you can increase it before the effect appears.

I would say it’s due to the design/construction of the overhead cables and the angle of the sun and view causing a reflection. As far as I’m aware Overhead transmission lines don’t have an outer stealth and are constructed of steel and aluminium strands twisted together. The twisted strand design and reflection of the sun would likely cause this in the angle of view and direction of sunlight was just right.

At the bottom of this website there is an image of a tramission line construction. Due to the twisting I wouldn’t provide a uniform reflection. It may be invisible to the human eye but picked up by the camera in a similar way to moire effect that @Box Brownie mentioned.

https://m.zmscable.com/zms-cables/Aluminum-Overhead-Cable/AAC-Conductor-All-Aluminum-Conductor

Last edited:
I would say it’s due to the design/construction of the overhead cables and the angle of the sun and view causing a reflection. As far as I’m aware Overhead transmission lines don’t have an outer stealth and are constructed of steel and aluminium strands twisted together. The twisted strand design and reflection of the sun would likely cause this in the angle of view and direction of sunlight was just right.

At the bottom of this website there is an image of a tramission line construction. Due to the twisting I wouldn’t provide a uniform reflection. It may be invisible to the human eye but picked up by the camera in a similar way to moire effect that @Box Brownie mentioned.

https://m.zmscable.com/zms-cables/Aluminum-Overhead-Cable/AAC-Conductor-All-Aluminum-Conductor
It's an alias caused by resizing an image that's too sharp (i.e. That hasn't had an anti-aliasing filter applied)

Back