Q: Using 2 flashes with Canon 5D, 550EX + Metz

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
Hi there Forum!

Q: I have a Canon 5D, and a 550EX flash which I love. I also own a handheld Metz 45 CT-4, which I bought a tiny little Falcon Eyes wireless trigger for (£9ish) which is supposed to sense the other flash going off, and fire. Well, I was on a shoot in very bright sunlight using the 550EX to fire the Metz, and the Metz was either too far from the 550EX (fixed onto hotshoe) or the sun was confusing it, and it didn't fire, which was embarrasing.

I think I've got 3 options (tell me otherwise):

1. Buy a wireless Hot Shoe Sync Adapter (Ebay Item number: 120165358310), put the 550EX nearer the Metz, and hopefully they will all 'see' each other. (Is there a genuine Canon wireless thingy - and if so, should I buy the real thing not an Ebay Chinese version?)

2. Buy a really long Metz flash sync cable to attach directly to camera.

3. Buy another 550EX, and then everything syncs with the Canon...

4. Or....?

Thanks in advance.

4. Or....?

Use a little bluetack to stick some card above the sensor of the slave so it's doesn't have sunlight falling directly on it.

It should see the flash from the 550 then. :)

Are you sure the Metz didn't go off? Chances are the pre-flash from your camera mounted 550 set the Metz off before the shutter moved. Can you disable the pre-flash on your 550?

Back