QE2 in Liverpool from the air

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
img_2190-edit.jpg

Yesterday was a good day. The Cunard liner Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) was in town for its final ever visit. She’s off to Dubai to be turned into a floating hotel. Its a shame. I’ve seen Grand Princess and other liners visit Liverpool this year and they don’t come close to looking as good as the QE2. They’re function over form, designed to be a hotel that floats around the world. The QE2 and the old liners have a certain romanticism about them. They’re from a historic time when going across the world was something amazing.

As this was the final ever visit to Liverpool I was lucky enough to have a plane waiting for me to take me for a spin. I really got taken for a spin. We circled for about 30 minutes, which felt like 5 and by the end I was a little queasy. Most people would be with the g-force, turbulence, spinning and breathing jet fuel for 30 minutes. Glad to say I don’t have a fear of flying as I once thought I did. I now have a strong urge to do more. That plane trip was *the* most amazing thing I’ve done this year. Absolutely incredible. I spent most of the time looking through my lens so in some ways I was slightly removed from the moment but wow. Its just so unreal. Everything is so completely different, so small. It is like you’re looking at this photo but you’re there too. The plane banked incredibly steeply too. I never felt like I was going to fall out the window but it banked to at least 45 degrees and well, holy cow! If you have a few hundred spare take that trip. Raven Air in Liverpool. Great guys, amazing flight. Thanks to the cruise terminal for sorting it too.

You lucky sod. Excellent shot that could be improved only by the addition of some Cheerleaders ;)

beautiful photograph. The QE2 holds such a huge place in the development of world travel on a luxury basis.

again, really great photograph.

Very nice.

I was lucky enough to spend 2 weeks on her last year.:)

awesome picture pete.......

best bit of preplanning to a shot ive ever seen (y)....bet nobody else had the forethought to sort a plane out :D

really nice view of livepool.... certainly one of the best angles ive ever seen the city taken from......

When getting chucked around in an aeroplane and taking pictures it helps to keep both eyes open. The non-viewfinder eye uses the ground and horizon as a reference, helps to stop your inner ear losing its balance and causing sickness. Like reading whilst travelling in a car, with your head down and not seeing the outside world causes sickness.

The man to have around after your house has burnt down ;) Good advice though. I imagine I'll forget by the next time I go up as I have a rubbish memory. After about 35 minutes I couldn't look outside as it was making me feel ill so I just looked at the instruments.

Did you consider a crop to lose the river traffic? I'm not sure they should be in the same shot as the QE2.

Did you consider a crop to lose the river traffic? I'm not sure they should be in the same shot as the QE2.

Nope because they add scale to the shot and the Mersey ferry is just as important to Liverpool as any building so its great to have them all there.

Thought about a PS T/S effect Pete?
Think here it would work well.

Johnny

Nice nice nice..the ship and the City...nice. but you need to clone out that oil slick in the LH side..dont want peeps to think we have oil slicks in the Mersey..:eek:)

Last edited:
Pete, that is a quality photo.

And you got up in a plane? luckiest photographer there? :)

Back