Quadcopters?

Would everyone else have to apply to the Royal Parks?

If they're using the images for anything other than personal use (commercial, editorial, news, portrait shoots, commissions, etc, etc), then yes they absolutely would have to.

Doesn't really matter whether you're getting any income from your aerial work. You are using the shots to advertise your services and website. Therefore they are commercial shots.

Photos 3 & 4 were taken during a quiet spell. I had a friend acting as a spotter, plus I was well below the legal maximum height of 400'.

So if I was to take aerial photo's from an altitude of say around 200' I understand that I would still require insurance cover, but would I also require a licence or permission?

So if I was to take aerial photo's from an altitude of say around 200' I understand that I would still require insurance cover, but would I also require a licence or permission?

You'd need to understand the airspace rules in your area, and abide by those rules or obtain permission to fly in those areas.

As with all rules, they get bent and broken all the time. Ask most FPVers what power transmitter they are using ;)

To fly commercially, you need to sit a two part CAA course/exam which costs in excess of £2k!

What I really wanted to know was if this is a requirement for all commercial flying regardless of altitude, ie. if I was to photograph a road junction (during a quiet period) from an altitude of no more than say 200' would this still be required. . . (Although I think I already know the answer)

I bought the latest GoPro with the intention of using it with a DJI Phantom but have been put off by 2 main points.

1 - The cost of certs/insurance/audits to legally operate
2 - Insufficient quality of stills from the GoPro Hero Black (video VV good, stills not so)

Enjoyed looking through this thread guys.

Having climbed all the Munro's (taking lots of pics on the way) and having umpteen books with the same old views - I think it would be very refreshing to have a different angle on the same old shots of the ridges and routes.

What's the "cheapest way" of getting started in using a 'copter and a gopro? Somebody had to ask :)

What's the "cheapest way" of getting started in using a 'copter and a gopro? Somebody had to ask :)

Probably the DJI Phantom. £500, but don't expect steady footage. You'll have to spend another £500ish to buy their gimbal.

The Civil Aviation Authority rules regarding drones like the DJI Phantom are as follows

"An unmanned aircraft with an operating mass of between 20 kg and 150 kg is required to qualify for a Certificate of Airworthiness under UK regulations. However, if the aircraft is to be flown within a 500 m radius and below 400 ft, or within segregated airspace, the CAA may be prepared to exempt from the requirement for a Certificate of Airworthiness if there is a level of airworthiness assurance appropriate to the UAS and the intended flights. The CAA may issue an exemption on the basis of its own investigations"
and as ever they are trying to regulate it with a
Basic National UAS Certificate - Small Unmanned Aircraft SUA at a cost of over £1000
http://www.eurousc.com/luass/pilots.html

The Civil Aviation Authority rules regarding drones like the DJI Phantom are as follows

"An unmanned aircraft with an operating mass of between 20 kg and 150 kg is required to qualify for a Certificate of Airworthiness under UK regulations. However, if the aircraft is to be flown within a 500 m radius and below 400 ft, or within segregated airspace, the CAA may be prepared to exempt from the requirement for a Certificate of Airworthiness if there is a level of airworthiness assurance appropriate to the UAS and the intended flights. The CAA may issue an exemption on the basis of its own investigations"
and as ever they are trying to regulate it with a
Basic National UAS Certificate - Small Unmanned Aircraft SUA at a cost of over £1000
http://www.eurousc.com/luass/pilots.html

Except that a DJI phantom doesn't weigh 20kg.

For non-commercial use, there's not a problem :)

there is rules on the same site for less than 20k
but links go nowhere hard to follow at times but something about licence

lol - maybe Chris could train one of his birds to carry a go pro on a harness :LOL:

Not sure if you are aware but as a model flyer myself you require a license and insurance from the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) to fly a model aircraft on your own and that goes for planes and helicopters including quads, octos etc.

Loads of people buy quads (and I'll be the first to admit that I'm considering buying one myself in the coming months for first person viewing and video work) thinking they are easy to fly but the truth is that they aren't without getting into expensive gyro's for stability. Small helis and quad's that you buy for £20 only work on 3 channels and can't handle a wind. That is where size starts to matter as a bigger platform is able to stick a bit of wind better and you have a extra channels for movement. Sure you can buy a plane/heli/quad etc at any hobby shop and fly it from a field but if you crash and believe it does and happens very quickly that you need insurance. The insurance doesn't cover you or your equipment but does cover if you hit a passing person or car.

Re insurance. This is the CAA Exemption (might be the one already linked) Sorry if it was.
This is the BMFA stance for members.

Definitely think the law would have something to say about unlicensed operators using them at crash sites. I know of a man who has been doing aerial work for the big TV companies who has a lot of hoops to jump through and inspections of his equipment.

Stevie

Last edited:
The fourth video down on this link so a video of a fairly high end quadcopter setup. I took the video last year on a Canon G12 but it was just to show you. It belongs to another club member and has a GPS system built into so that if he loses control/orientation he can flick a switch and the quad will fly back to him on the path that it got to the position he flicked the switch. ASAIK with the GPS, Gauli quad, gimble, camera etc there wouldn't be much change from around £1500 or maybe more. The top video on the link might be of some interest - it was taken just a few weeks ago at the airport that we fly from on a powered glider.

stangelomfc.co.uk/gallery/videos/

Stevie

Last edited:
Mine a hex with dji nazza GPS,IOS etc fat shark goggles landing legs brushless Gimbal etc £1699
Stil hard to control in wind always correcting the sticks as you said the fly home mode great if you running into difficulty

here a post from a person that has been building them for years
he actually supplied the gadget show with the gear

When considering a machine such as this, please be aware of and take into account the following information:

This applies mainly to anyone using RC Helicopters for aerial work (defined as the use of the vehicle to perform a business related activity).

But also please be aware that if you are flying a larger RC helicopter (500 size plus), then these guidelines will most likely apply to you as well.

The CAA splits UAS aircraft (Unmanned Aerial System) into three main catergories based upon total weight:
•Under 7kg - You dont have to worry about any kind of specific licensing or permission. Follow BMFA guidelines and fly safe. However you will need permission from the CAA to perform aerial work..
•7kg-20kg - Here you will have to follow more CAA guidelines, and if you are performing aerial work, you will need permission and have to pay a yearly fee..
•Over 20kg - This involves a more rigorous application process, involving permission, licensing and an inspection of your aircraft to make sure it is airworthy..

For the purposes of the products availible , we will focus on aircraft under 20kg in total weight (defined as Small Unmanned Aircraft or SUA by the CAA).
If you are flying an aircraft over this weight, please refer directly to the CAA website for information.

I bought a ar drone as a mess around but immediately got hooked on its potential to get some decent footage with a few mods. I was about to cut the drone to fit a gopro but then decided all the extra hassle might be just worth getting the phantom. So to summarise and be 100% legal, would I need to get a licence ?

I have a little copter with a camera built in. Great fun.

with all that's been said with laws and regs etc..

Maybe worth investing in a Dwarf with a nikon hanging from a balloon on a rope.

Will see if Little Mick the Tree surgeon wants some extra cash.........

Is there any law issues with the above?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm another one that built and developed a quadcopter for aerial photography/videography. Being a long time rc heli and plane flyer building and flying one was easy and to integrate into my photography was an obvious interest to me, not to mention the potential market over telescopic mast.

It's safe to say I did mine on the cheap but to a high standard, and a lot of it made by myself, is mostly carbon fibre, has a 2 axis gimbal housing my gopro, I converted the gimbal to bearings to make it smooth and did a lot of programming in the controller (im a software developed) to get it smooth which resulted in some good footage, for a cost of about £300 all in. It's 600mm and can carry a lot more than the gopro, i was thinking of getting another gopro to do some 3d.

Cut a long story short.... Bnuc-s licence came out which costs £1300 and I can't afford. So it's now gathering dust.

My advice, if your a photographer commercially you wouldn't do weddings without insurance and all the other 'proper doings', so if you was to go down this road for more business potential then you will need the bnuc-s to get any insurance so there is that outlay.

Andy

Not sure if you are aware but as a model flyer myself you require a license and insurance from the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) to fly a model aircraft on your own and that goes for planes and helicopters including quads, octos etc.

Loads of people buy quads (and I'll be the first to admit that I'm considering buying one myself in the coming months for first person viewing and video work) thinking they are easy to fly but the truth is that they aren't without getting into expensive gyro's for stability. Small helis and quad's that you buy for £20 only work on 3 channels and can't handle a wind. That is where size starts to matter as a bigger platform is able to stick a bit of wind better and you have a extra channels for movement. Sure you can buy a plane/heli/quad etc at any hobby shop and fly it from a field but if you crash and believe it does and happens very quickly that you need insurance. The insurance doesn't cover you or your equipment but does cover if you hit a passing person or car.

Re insurance. This is the CAA Exemption (might be the one already linked) Sorry if it was.
This is the BMFA stance for members.

Definitely think the law would have something to say about unlicensed operators using them at crash sites. I know of a man who has been doing aerial work for the big TV companies who has a lot of hoops to jump through and inspections of his equipment.

Stevie

Sorry to argue with you but as a model flyer of 40 years I can assure you that you do not need a licence to fly a model aircraft and neither does such a thing exist! Insurance is not mandatory either (although very advisable and available from £15 to £20 per year)
Its also important to understand there is a big difference between flying models with a camera on board and flying them by looking through the on-board camera.
There is much useful information about this on the FPV UK site.
However commercial use is regulated, but for the "hobbyist" especially flyng a
normal model with a camera attached there are surprisingly few restrictions.

also once you put them glasses on it as police say IT A drone they will prosecute

also once you put them glasses on it as police say IT A drone they will prosecute

Unless when you put the glasses on you turn the transmitter off at which point it becomes legal because its free flight! Stupid, dangerous but legal!:thinking:

The fact is though if you are interested in aerial photography and you do not wish to make money out of it, there are lots of options available to you from cheap quads to very sophisticated kit. All of which can be done without a licence but please exercise a bit of common sense and don't use illegal kit.

I had fun results many years ago with a canon sureshot under a old trainer.

Small Unmanned Aircraft – First Person View (FPV) Flying
1)
The Civil Aviation Authority, in exercise of its powers under article 242 of the Air Navigation
Order 2009 (‘the Order’), exempts any person in charge of a Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA)
from the requirement at article 166(3) of the Order to ensure that direct unaided visual
contact is maintained with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other
aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.
2)
This Exemption only applies if the conditions at paragraphs 3 to 7 are met.
3)
a)
The person in charge is the person piloting the SUA
b)
The person in charge is accompanied by a competent observer who maintains direct
unaided visual contact with the SUA sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to
other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding
collisions and advises the person in charge accordingly.
c)
The maximum take-off mass of the SUA does not exceed 1.8 kg for an aeroplane, or
2.5 kg for a rotorcraft, including any batteries or fuel.
4)
The person in charge must not fly the SUA:
a)
in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless permission of the appropriate air traffic control unit
has been obtained;
b)
within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the air traffic
control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless permission of any such air traffic control
unit has been obtained;
c)
at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface;
d)
over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
e)
over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
f)
within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the
person in charge of the aircraft;
g)
within 50 metres of any other person, apart from the competent observer, except when
taking off or landing; or
Official Record Series 4
Miscellaneous
The Air Navigation Order 2009
General Exemption
No:
Publication Date:
26 March 2013
26 March 2013
Page 1 of 2
The latest version of this document is available in electronic format at www.caa.co.uk/publications, where you may also
register for e-mail notification of amendments. Details for purchasing paper copy can be found at the same web address.
United Kingdom
Civil Aviation Authority
1 First Person View flying is the ability to control a radio controlled aircraft from a “pilot’s eye” perspective through the
use of an on-board camera and ground-based receiving and viewing equipment. The viewing equipment is normally a set
of video goggles.
2 The person in charge remains responsible for the safety of the operation and may only fly the SUA if reasonably satisfied
that the flight can safely be made.
UK Civil Aviation Authority
Official Record Series 4, No. 956
26 March 2013
Page 2 of 2
h)
within 30 metres of any other person, apart from the competent observer, other
adjacent model operators, or any model flying club members, during take-off or landing.
5)
For the purposes of this Exemption, a ‘competent observer’ means someone whom the
person in charge of the SUA has designated as the competent observer.
6)
Before designating someone as the competent observer, the person in charge of the SUA
must be satisfied that he or she:
a)
has been briefed in accordance with paragraph 7;
b)
is competent to perform the tasks which he or she may be called upon to perform in
accordance with paragraph 7; and
c)
is competent, by direct unaided visual observation of the SUA, to assist and advise the
person in charge with the safe conduct of the flight.
7)
The person in charge must ensure that:
a)
the competent observer is fully briefed on the planned flight and what is expected of
him/her taking into account the prevailing conditions;
b)
the competent observer understands that he/she must stay directly adjacent to the
person in charge and maintain direct unaided visual contact with the SUA at all times, to
visually and aurally monitor the airspace for other aircraft and the take-off and landing
area for any persons;
c)
the competent observer has been instructed on the actions to take in the event of
another aircraft being spotted and a risk of collision is assessed; and
d)
the competent observer understands that he/she must advise if the SUA is proceeding
beyond the point at which he/she is able to monitor its flight path sufficiently to identify
a risk of collision.
8)
This exemption supersedes Official Record Series 4 No. 945, which is hereby revoked.
9)
This Exemption has effect from the date hereof until 31 March 2014, unless previously
revoked.
J E Benyon
for the Civil Aviation Authority
25 March 2013
NOTE:
This exempts only from article 166(3). The other provisions of article 166 and the whole
of article 167 continue to apply, so far as may be applicable. In particular, article 166(5) prohibits
flight for the purposes of aerial work except in accordance with a permission granted by the CAA.

Hope that helps!

I fly quads and tricopters all the time, with cameras on them, LOS and FPV, its a blast :)

Back