Quality ~20mm canvas bar recommendation needed

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking about potential exhibitions and obviously selling, selling selling.

I have done a fair amount of canvas for myself a few years back, so obviously my requirements were just a little lower than retail products.

Print and varnish side - I am OK with all that. Well up to A1-ish at least. The A0s which I may want is a different matter on A1 printer.

I used to buy pine stretcher bars from ebay, and perhaps half if not most of the long ones were a bit warped already out of the box. This was just barely tolerable for personal space but clearly not acceptable for retail.

So I need good quality well-dried wood mostly for 36x24" or A1 canvas prints. I really don't want any more than 20mm thickness because this takes away too much print. As I said I already want A0, not closer to A2.

Then the next idea is to frame some of them to create more luxury variant. So basically luxury frame. and canvas edge to edge. No matt. no glass, no bs. I..e. pretty much what you see in museum art galleries.
I wonder if you would still stretch the canvas on same bars and try and squeeze it into a frame, or would you instead use something like 5mm MDF for stretching, or even somehow stretch it into the frame itself.?

There is so much hassle and expense with "plain" inkjet paper prints and getting the mounted and framed that I just only sell them rolled in a tube and customers can go through all that with their framer as needed.

Thank you.

If I have understood you correctly, I wonder if a frame chop service would be a source. I have looked at one of the list here and they mentioned/list "canvas bars" mouldings.

Sounds like it may be very expensive when I mostly need 34" and 22" sticks, and maybe some minor variations in rare cases

Just need those straight and better wood than pine really

Sounds like it may be very expensive when I mostly need 34" and 22" sticks, and maybe some minor variations in rare cases

Just need those straight and better wood than pine really
Only you can decide on the quality vs price 'equation' but FWIW and IMO in regard to frame mouldings where quality is concerned (properly dried & seasoned wood) carries an appropriate(?) price.

I hope you can find a satisfactory source that you are content with bearing in mind that, and I surmise, you want your customers to enjoy your canvases for many years to come with the canvas 'framing' remaining stable.

I definitely want the quality wood which primarily means it is to be straight and bone dry but really don't need the bespoke cutting element which typically tends to at least 2-4x the prices and introduce delays. I'm already trying to stomach the idea of exhibition fees, sitting there for a week and card terminal, etc.

As explained I really need 2 or 3 main sizes (length and width) with an open option for some more standard sizes as needed. 34", 22", perhaps 14" for those really small ones and maybe a 38" or 40" option for semi-panoramic.

Hopefully someone is happy with a supplier they use and can recommend. Even better if I can inspect and pick up somewhere in Worcestershire or Gloucestershire.

Back