Quality of mobile phones changing amateur digital photography?

We've got to be realistic here otherwise this thread loses credibility :) as good as it is for a phone camera, a Lumia 640 is no where near as capable a 1" sensor enthusiast compact, let alone an aps-c dslr, it just isn't (and that's without going into lenses)!

Try looking at the 640 image on a 22" screen, and go from there!

Seen the images on my mates 38" TV and they look really crisp! Todays mobile camera technology has improved vastly.

Seen the images on my mates 38" TV and they look really crisp! Todays mobile camera technology has improved vastly.
Not that much.

My phones (iPhone 5 and 6) look dreadful away from the phone screen.

They also rely on a LOT of software to clean up the shortfalls of the lens/sensor size.

Last edited:
I've been using the Lumia 1020 for the last 18mths or so now and always been happy to use it when I've been out and about and not had my main camera with me.. yes for moving stuff its not been ideal but for anything else its been spot on..

A lot of my candid shots over on FlickR were taken with the 1020 and with an upgrade due on the phone front in the next couple of months its left me uncertain whether I want to upgrade this time around (y)

Here's a couple of example shots (y)

Cafe candid - Sunderland by Marcus Berry, on Flickr

Lego Mike - Portrait Photographer by Marcus Berry, on Flickr

I know that the iphone has been mentioned but two months ago I had an upgrade to a Samsung S5 and after using it for some video and stills underground, I am seriously considering putting my D300 in the loft, it is waterproof and the image quality is actually amazing and even in low light it is superb. For me as a slave to the fast glass it is certainly an eye opener.

Don't get me wrong, phones are fine for simple point and shoot stuff. My main issue (aside from the very limited flexibility and general ability) is taking pictures with **a phone**! I hate the damn things (even though I'm forced to have 3 of them going at once).

Even if the sensor / lens ability matched that of a limited fixed length proper camera (though the laws of physics dictate they will always lag behind), I still wouldn't want to use them, as although taking pics with my iPhone's can result in some decent images at relatively small sizes (as long as I don't need a tele or UWA and the conditions are ideal), I get no enjoyment out of using it. None whatsoever, it's soulless.

All IMO of course!

Last edited:
Back