Quality of slides vs digital.

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
I have recently been systematically scanning years of holiday slides into the computer and saving to a portable hard drive.

What has amazed me is the sheer overall quality of a transparancy image against that of a digital image.

I have yet to take a digital image that reproduces colours as good as slide film, unless of course I am doing something wrong!:thinking :dummy:

Its dependant on the film, but I almost always seem to prefer the colour rendition of film, there's nothing more magical than looking at a slide and seeing those brilliant colours.
A large format slide must look jaw droppingly amazing.

Last edited:
Its dependant on the film, but I almost always seem to prefer the colour rendition of film, there's nothing more magical than looking at a slide and seeing those brilliant colours.
A large format slide much look jaw droopingly amazing.

I've a couple of 10x8" ones from way, way, WAY back, and they're like miniature stained glass windows! Out of this world :cool:

Looking at positive film on a light table is seeing a first generation image. With negative film you have create a second generation image and usually it's a problem getting all of it onto the new medium for viewing.

I have some Ektachrome 100 and Fujichrome 100, amazing quality after many years.
I also have some home processed Ektachrome which have faded badly.

I have recently been systematically scanning years of holiday slides into the computer and saving to a portable hard drive.

What has amazed me is the sheer overall quality of a transparancy image against that of a digital image.

I have yet to take a digital image that reproduces colours as good as slide film, unless of course I am doing something wrong!:thinking :dummy:

What slide stock are you scanning and what scanner (and software) are you using?

Film still has the edge.
The softness and gradation between tones hasn't been matched by digital....yet. One of the reasons I still shoot 5x4.
For scanning you could try Vuescan and then colourperfect, works really quickly and I've found I'm getting more consistent results than Vuescan alone.

What slide stock are you scanning and what scanner (and software) are you using?

Ektachrome 100, 200, Fujichrome 100 and a few Agfachrome 100.
Canon CanoScan 4400F and PhotoStudio 5.5.

Back