Quality of video on DSLRs?

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
How good is the quality of video you get on a DSLR compared to a dedicated camcorder? I'm hoping to get a Canon 1000D and a Sony camcorder replaced by our insurance and just wondered if the video wasgood enough to put all the money together and buy a better DSLR capable of taking video?

thanks

latercomer2 said:
How good is the quality of video you get on a DSLR compared to a dedicated camcorder? I'm hoping to get a Canon 1000D and a Sony camcorder replaced by our insurance and just wondered if the video wasgood enough to put all the money together and buy a better DSLR capable of taking video?

thanks

Depends on the dslr but the big advantage is you can use different lenses and get very nice effects like shallow DOF. But if you think photography is expensive its nothing compared to the money you can spend on dslr video gear.

It depends what you want to do though, dslrs are being used to make everything from commercials to feature films. Serious video on a dslr is a huge topic and something I'm only starting to explore for use in weddings etc. But I am only looking at grabbing a few seconds at a time either locked down on a tripod or using a slider.

thanks for the reply - I'm new to DSLRs and only had mine for about a month before it was nicked. was only when reading some other threads that i thought about it. wouldn't be spending a huge amount on the new DSLR.

any good recommendations which might br worth a look?

Check out the Sony a33 and a55. They are the only DSLR-type cameras with full autofocus when shooting video. They've also got in-body IS, although using it for video limits the maximum clip length significantly.

The a33 is rumoured to be about to be replaced, so look out for discounts in the coming months.

Here is an example of what you can shoot handheld on a D90. I didn't go out of my way to shoot video and it's the first time I've ever tried. Shutter roll on the D90 is pretty bad but non existant on my D7000. Thinking about it I wish I'd shot some video on my recent trip!

Things like image stabilization aren't great on a SLR but imo the overall quality is much better. In fact my point and shoot S90 gives amazing quality video in low light.

http://www.vimeo.com/17302746

Movie mode isn't my thing but I've read on line that great things are possible with some DSLR's.

Panasonic seem to be martket leaders and very well thought of.

There are some interesting articles at Luminous Landscape on this subject.

Check out the Sony a33 and a55. They are the only DSLR-type cameras with full autofocus when shooting video. They've also got in-body IS, although using it for video limits the maximum clip length significantly.

The a33 is rumoured to be about to be replaced, so look out for discounts in the coming months.

Thanks for the recommendation - the camcorder is a Sony and its given pretty good results so I guess Sony DSLRs should at least have the technology available to them.

To be honest i suspect i'd be more likely to buy second hand again if I could (first DSLR came from Classifids on here)

Here is an example of what you can shoot handheld on a D90. I didn't go out of my way to shoot video and it's the first time I've ever tried. Shutter roll on the D90 is pretty bad but non existant on my D7000. Thinking about it I wish I'd shot some video on my recent trip!

Things like image stabilization aren't great on a SLR but imo the overall quality is much better. In fact my point and shoot S90 gives amazing quality video in low light.

thanks for the link. while the image quality looks good, it does seem to struggle to maintain focus although i guess if it was the first time you'd tried then perhaps the results would improve with practice.

What is shutter roll? :shrug:

Thanks for the links. Most of what I use (used) the camcorder for was pretty static (young baby!) so I'm not sure it would be a great problem. that said I'm not sure whether the premium for getting a body with video capability would be worth it.

Also not sure how things are going to be handled by insurance so its all a bit theoretical at the moment.

IS there a big difference between entry level bodies with video and more expensive models. Anyone recommend specific models for video (as well as stills of course ;) )

IS there a big difference between entry level bodies with video and more expensive models. Anyone recommend specific models for video (as well as stills of course ;) )

Yes there is but video on dSLRs is a new thing so improvements are rapid. At best it can be broadcast quality, at worst well... worse than a dedicated camcorder but it is improving with each generation of dSLR.

not that much of an issue in real world work. All those examples always use fast pans that would like like arse anyway.

OP, what do you want to film? If you want something for home movies, get a camcorder.

If you want to experiment with film making, interviews, etc, then get a dslr. DSLR video is NOT easy by any means, but it certainly can look stunning in the right hands.

OP, what do you want to film? If you want something for home movies, get a camcorder.

If you want to experiment with film making, interviews, etc, then get a dslr. DSLR video is NOT easy by any means, but it certainly can look stunning in the right hands.

Mostly video of our son who is 7 months old. The thinking was to try and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. If I can get reasonable quality video from a DSLR by paying more for the body than I would to get a DSLR and camcorder separately then its a no brainer.

Also would mean one less item to carry around (and one less charger and set of cables to tidy up :D )

Yes there is but video on dSLRs is a new thing so improvements are rapid. At best it can be broadcast quality, at worst well... worse than a dedicated camcorder but it is improving with each generation of dSLR.

I guess the question is whether spending an extra £200 on a DSLR would give me satisfactory results compared to just going out and buying a replacement camcorder for around the same money.

I've not had much practice with video at all, but I'm always impressed with the stuff I get with my D5000, which has possibly the worst video mode in any current DSLR! :LOL: A bit of practice gettign used to holding the camera steady and perfocusing etc, seems to go ok.

Here is my youtube, they're all shot on the D5k

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

latercomer2 said:
Mostly video of our son who is 7 months old. The thinking was to try and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. If I can get reasonable quality video from a DSLR by paying more for the body than I would to get a DSLR and camcorder separately then its a no brainer.

Also would mean one less item to carry around (and one less charger and set of cables to tidy up :D )

Most dslrs don't autofocus very well in video mode and people using them for serious video applications mainly use manual focus and a focusing aid connected to the LCD. If you just want some family videos a camcorder might be a better option without the need for post production work etc.

You can do it but they are not really a replacement for a handy cam if that's what you're after imo.

An entire episode of the hit TV series 'House' was shot exclusively using Canon's 5D Mark II, so the quality must be pretty good. Apparently they had a 7D as a backup but it wasn't used.

I guess the question is whether spending an extra £200 on a DSLR would give me satisfactory results compared to just going out and buying a replacement camcorder for around the same money.

I think its worth investing in dslr with a video, something like Canon 600d, Canon 7d or can also consider the Nikon latest camera Nikon D5100.

An entire episode of the hit TV series 'House' was shot exclusively using Canon's 5D Mark II, so the quality must be pretty good. Apparently they had a 7D as a backup but it wasn't used.

But I'm sure it wasn't done with one guy and the DSLR, I suspect there was a lot more to it. Also any body I would be looking at would be at the lower end that a 5D/7D.

I've not had much practice with video at all, but I'm always impressed with the stuff I get with my D5000, which has possibly the worst video mode in any current DSLR! :LOL: A bit of practice gettign used to holding the camera steady and perfocusing etc, seems to go ok.

Here is my youtube, they're all shot on the D5k

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

Thanks - will check them out later on.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, sorry to be a little vague with the requirements but until we find out exactly whats happening with the insurance, I dont even know what budget I have (if any!)

Jackwow said:

Yeah but they are using steady cam set ups and dolly track and multiple cameras the quality is very good indeed but the investment in equipment and time learning how to use it is pretty extensive. Don't get me wrong, I think you can do some amazing work with a dslr, but you have to get serious gear to get those results.

latercomer2 said:
Is that the correct link? takes me to a youtube login page?

Should've worked, search my user name lawrenceots that should bring me up. Can't post link as on phone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using TP Forums

EDIT: Link to one of my videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtUiuZuDp4 then just follow the to more of mine - I think. That was took on Sunday at the club.

Last edited:

No, there isn't. The 550D, 600D, 60D and 7D all produce exactly the same identical quality 1080p. The only advantage of the 7D over the others is that you can use HDMI while recording (so you can hook up an external HDMI monitor for easier focus pulling, etc). The 5DMk2 just has the bigger sensor and slightly better high ISO.

As far as the Nikon bodies, none of them are any good yet. The D7000 looked promising, but only shoots 24fps (no 25 or 30fps and no double rate 50/60fps in 720p). The D5100 looked even more promising until Lori @ CNet confirmed to me today that the D5100 has no manual controls whatsoever in video (like the D90/D300s/D3100/D5000); Just auto exposure and an AE-Lock button (which is useless).

None of it is technically broadcast quality, as it's not 4:2:2 output, it's bog standard 8Bit 1080p (but there are things that can be done to the footage in post to bring it in line for 10Bit DNxHD or ProRes output. But it'll never be as good as a true 4:2:2 10Bit recording).

Even the new Panasonic AF101, which is a proper camcorder with a Panasonic 4/3 size sensor inside it doesn't record 4:2:2 natively. It also records 8Bit AVCHD natively, but you can record straight to 10-Bit ProRes via an external recorder (which BBC Scotland has officially said they'll accept for broadcast).

No DSLR does that yet, and likely won't for a good while (if ever).

Last edited:
If it wasn't for video, the Canon 5dII would never have sold in the numbers it has, ditto the 7D. However, whilst Canon are fully-aware of this - and hence why they exhibited at BVE this year instead of FOI - they aren't going to let their pro and semi-pro ranges suffer, so will continue to ensure there's always something missing from DSLR in comparison.

Sony are also very mindful of the same issue for the same reason. Forget Nikon, they will always be playing catch-up in this area, but Panasonic are the ones to watch, as they haven't got two markets to play off against each other.

If you want to shoot video, get a "semi-pro" camera such as the Sony EX and PD series. There's a reason these are used for low-budget TV production and not DSLR's - put simply, they work! Can be given to a runner with 2 days training and produce footage that is (...occasionally...) of broadcast standard!

The only purpose for using a DSLR is if you need an ultra-shallow DoF - but its far from cheap once you get the necessary monitoring and follow-focus gear, and you'll end up with 3-4 people around the camera just to make a decent shot...so might as well have got some proper gear in the first place... you also won't have overheating sensor or battery issues, can make tracking & panning shots, and will find the whole process a lot less painful and less involved. And you can take great still photos at the same time with your DSLR, because you haven't hijacked it and turned it into a video rig with a ton of paraphanalia around it...!

As for the one episode of House - and I'll say that again, the ONE episode of House - shot on 5D's whilst carefully avoiding any difficult shots... was partly marketting gimmic, partly technology demonstration, and partly to fit into very small spaces with a ultra-shallow DoF. All the shots could all have been achieved with conventional film gear, of course - but would they have got any publicity if they said "we shot the season finale entirely on SS16..."? nope...

Personally I would say the quality of dslr video can be better than consumer camcorders but quite often the end result can be pretty poor. Just look on YouTube.
There are some wonderful videos but all those pro looking videos have been shot will a lot of thought and understanding of what's needed.
Then there are the kids playing, family gathering videos that are shaky and go in an out of focus all the time. These would be much better shot with even a cheap camcorder IMO.
Having both a Canon 60D and HF10 I find the 60D with a IS lens ( let's not forget the extra expense of a good lens or two ) can out preform my HF10 but it takes a lot of thought and planing to shoot kids.
I planned to get rid of my camcorder but for unplanned shots it's a lot easier to use.

Well, that's my thoughts anyway.

If you want to shoot video, get a "semi-pro" camera such as the Sony EX and PD series.
Forget the PDs. Nobody shoots standard def any more. I've been using EX1 & EX3 cameras for the past few years, but to be quite honest, for what they cost, you're MUCH better off getting a Panasonic AF101 and an external recorder like the Ninja box so you can record straight to 10-Bit 4:2:2 ProRes, and still have a couple of grand left over for some really nice Nikon glass. :)

There's a reason these are used for low-budget TV production and not DSLR's - put simply, they work! Can be given to a runner with 2 days training and produce footage that is (...occasionally...) of broadcast standard!
When you say "of broadcast standard" you're talking about the camera op's ability? and not the actual file format being output? The EX1 & EX3 are only barely within broadcast technical specs, and are only allowed to be used for a small percentage of a total program's footage (according to the BBC anyway).

The thing is, a 5DMk2 + rig + a couple of lenses is going to cost you less than an EX3 anyway, and you can do far more with it. And it's generally a case of "were" more than "are" these days.

The only purpose for using a DSLR is if you need an ultra-shallow DoF - but its far from cheap once you get the necessary monitoring and follow-focus gear, and you'll end up with 3-4 people around the camera just to make a decent shot...so might as well have got some proper gear in the first place...
You need all the same gear and people regardless of whether you're using an EX1/EX3 with a 35mm adapter, an HDSLR, or an Arri Alexa, but the DSLR is still probably going to end up the cheapest.

you also won't have overheating sensor or battery issues
Overheating is camera-specific. I've never seen a Nikon overheat, and Canon seem to have solved the problem in the 60D & 600D, so I'm sure the problem will also be solved in the 7D & 5DMk2 replacements when they're finally announced.

As for the one episode of House - and I'll say that again, the ONE episode of House - shot on 5D's whilst carefully avoiding any difficult shots... was partly marketting gimmic, partly technology demonstration, and partly to fit into very small spaces with a ultra-shallow DoF. All the shots could all have been achieved with conventional film gear, of course - but would they have got any publicity if they said "we shot the season finale entirely on SS16..."? nope...

As for the twenty four episodes in Season 7 of house - and I'll say that again, the TWENTY FOUR episodes in Season 7 of house - that are being shot on a mix of Arri Alexa, 5DMk2 and other cameras, they use them because there are times when it's practical to do so (and much less costly).

The season finale was nothing to do with getting ultra shallow DOF. He used f/1.2 for only one scene in the entire episode. It was the fact that the cameras themselves were physically small, and it cut the production time well under half because they didn't have to take sets apart to cover multiple camera angles with more traditionally sized video cameras. The fact that the entire episode was shot with them, sure I'll give you that one, it was just to prove it could be done, but there were very practical reasons as to why they were used for the majority of the shots where you're filming in a set that only has a ceiling of 18-24" high.

Gale Tattersall's done plenty of interviews online, I helped out with the one at Planet5D, and he's answered all these questions a million times as to why they were used, and why they will continue to use them.

Stargate Studios also used HDSLRs for many of the driving plates in the final season too. HDSLRs aren't a one trick pony, they can do far much more than just shallow depth of field. Go stick a 24mm lens on your DSLR @ f/11 and tell me how shallow it is.

They're a tool, like any other camera. There's a right time and place to use them and a wrong one.

Personally I would say the quality of dslr video can be better than consumer camcorders but quite often the end result can be pretty poor. Just look on YouTube.
There are some wonderful videos but all those pro looking videos have been shot will a lot of thought and understanding of what's needed.
Then there are the kids playing, family gathering videos that are shaky and go in an out of focus all the time. These would be much better shot with even a cheap camcorder IMO.

That's because most idiots think they're just a camcorder, and they're not. You have to treat them as you would a more traditional 35mm (in the case of crop bodies) or Vistavision (in the case of FF bodies) camera.

If it wasn't for video, the Canon 5dII would never have sold in the numbers it has, .

Not sure I agree with this, do you have any evidence to back it up?

I suspect that many that bought the 5DMK2 will rarely if ever use the Video facility. I think more people bought it for the Full Frame 21MP sensor than anything else.

I've recently started playing around with the video off the D3s and it's a wonderful yet painful experience at the same time.

As John's pointed out (and he's far more experienced than me!), the potential for great video making is phenominal with what you get nowadays on dSLRs. The switchable lenses, the shallow DoF, and quality you get out of a shot, etc, immediately makes you believe you could be the next Spielberg.

But perfecting that takes time and money and add-on gear. If you want easy-to-use for family-holiday-videos, I'd say stick with a camcorder, but if you want to get arty and really explore what you could do, then a dSLR platform is very much a relatively low budget way of getting started. Key word there is getting started: I was amazed at the shallow DoF, but then realised I couldn't focus properly so need a focus puller, then you need a steadycam or other support mechanism if you want to be mobile whilst shooting. That starts costing, and having the gear doesn't immediately make you a pro (just like having a pro dSLR + pro lenses doesn't make you the next wildlife togger extraordinaire).

But it's a great way to start learning the art of moving images :D

I suspect that many that bought the 5DMK2 will rarely if ever use the Video facility. I think more people bought it for the Full Frame 21MP sensor than anything else.

I can't tell you the source right now, but one major US retailer of Canon cameras reported that approximately 40% of their 5DMk2 sales were to video production companies. I don't remember if this was B&H, Adorama, or who, but it was one of the very big US names. I know many people personally too, who don't shoot stills, don't ever plan to, and only shoot video with their HDSLRs.

You've got to remember, compared to other 35mm & Vistavision sensor sized cameras, the 5DMk2 is ridiculously cheap. A lot of these production companies (especially in the USA) would think nothing of buying a dozen of them, along with a selection of lenses for each when compared to the cost of something like a single Arri Alexa, and if you're producing privately (corporate web and training videos, etc), as opposed to broadcast, you don't necessarily need an Arri Alexa (or even something as relatively lowly as an EX1 or EX3).

Last edited:
Should've worked, search my user name lawrenceots that should bring me up. Can't post link as on phone.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3584786
Sent from my iPhone 4 using TP Forums

EDIT: Link to one of my videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtUiuZuDp4 then just follow the to more of mine - I think. That was took on Sunday at the club.

Sorry forgot to come back and check these. They look pretty good - did it take a lot of practice?

I'm currently thinking a camcorder might have to come first as I'm running out of time.

Sorry forgot to come back and check these. They look pretty good - did it take a lot of practice?

I'm currently thinking a camcorder might have to come first as I'm running out of time.

No, I've very little experience with video - small edits in iMovie but that's it. For me, the DSLR wins hand down for quality etc.

If you want easy-to-use for family-holiday-videos, I'd say stick with a camcorder,

I think that just about sums it up. Also the insurance company are being a little funny about some things so I suspect it could take a while to resolve hence the thought of getting a camcorder now and a replacement DSLR afterwards

If it wasn't for video, the Canon 5dII would never have sold in the numbers it has,

yup. It's the reason that they got the department of defence contract for 5ds, for example, and video production companies are buying them up like there's no tomorrow.

OP, buy a handicam.

To everyone debating in this thread: Kaouthia is right ;) A camera is a box with a lens... the sensor on the 5/7d is good, but the rest of the camera isn't too geared up for video work ergonomically or feature wise. But then, they're a lot cheaper, and a lot smaller....

Damn that makes the decision harder. Was it an expensive lens you were using?

yes, I'm afraid, I used the Nikon 70-300 VR, now I find that brilliant because the VR makes a massive difference while shooting video, you really feel it keeping it steady, and the easy override of MF mean's I can tweak the focus quite easily, if something moves. Quite a lot of the video footage of the sailing boats etc was shot from a moving safety boat!
Some of the wildlife I shot using the Nikon 600 AIS (the old MF one). But use any lens carefully and you'll get great results. Keeping it steady is the critical thing, and don't be afraid to shoot more - shoot 2 minutes worth for the a golden 7 second bit. Also, I'm using pretty old tech now in the D5000 - even though I'm very happy with it - its only 720p, can suffer form the wobbly sensor if you move to quick, and obviously only has a mono mic, but again I can live with that. I don't know how the newer ones worl with AF in video, as obviously with the D5k I do manually focus once video recording has started.

Thanks thats what I suspected.

Decision made - I'm going to go for a camcorder asap and then once we have sorted out the insurance see what funds I have to get a body with video capability.

Anyone got any recommendations for a camcorder (preferably HD but not essential) but without breaking the bank. Was looking at the Panasonic SD60 which seems to get reasonable reviews and Argos have on offer for £300 at the moment.

Old one was a Sony DCR SR52 which was pretty straight forward so would definitely consider a Sony too.

Last edited:
Back