Quality of video on DSLRs?

I totally agree with you. I used to have D90 and the video was horrible. 550D I own now is a complitly diffrent story. But dedicated camcorder such as Panasonic sd700 I also own is still much better than even 550d.

No, there isn't. The 550D, 600D, 60D and 7D all produce exactly the same identical quality 1080p. The only advantage of the 7D over the others is that you can use HDMI while recording (so you can hook up an external HDMI monitor for easier focus pulling, etc). The 5DMk2 just has the bigger sensor and slightly better high ISO.

As far as the Nikon bodies, none of them are any good yet. The D7000 looked promising, but only shoots 24fps (no 25 or 30fps and no double rate 50/60fps in 720p). The D5100 looked even more promising until Lori @ CNet confirmed to me today that the D5100 has no manual controls whatsoever in video (like the D90/D300s/D3100/D5000); Just auto exposure and an AE-Lock button (which is useless).

None of it is technically broadcast quality, as it's not 4:2:2 output, it's bog standard 8Bit 1080p (but there are things that can be done to the footage in post to bring it in line for 10Bit DNxHD or ProRes output. But it'll never be as good as a true 4:2:2 10Bit recording).

Even the new Panasonic AF101, which is a proper camcorder with a Panasonic 4/3 size sensor inside it doesn't record 4:2:2 natively. It also records 8Bit AVCHD natively, but you can record straight to 10-Bit ProRes via an external recorder (which BBC Scotland has officially said they'll accept for broadcast).

No DSLR does that yet, and likely won't for a good while (if ever).

Many thanks for the info

:D

post a sample? When you get back off holiday of course

Whatever sample you see made with sd700 on vimeo or yputube even if they are full HD are far from the real quality. Believe me the quality is unbelivable when you watch directly from the camcorde on full hd screen or tv.

Do you know if there is possible to post a HD video sample somewhere without loosing quality?

Not really, not if you want it streamed. If you have a plus account on Vimeo, you can upload an out-of-camera clip there, and enable downloading of the original file so that people can play it locally.

Back