Review Quantuum R+ Dual Power Flash Heads

Name
Edward Bray
Edit My Images
Yes
I purhased a pair of the Quantuum R+ Dual Power Flash Heads about 4 months ago, whilst I have been very happy with the versatility of these flash heads I thought it would be useful to run some tests and post some images of the heads themselves.

Quantuum6white.jpg

On first inspection the heads were well packed in the box for their journey from Poland and included the following items:

Flash Head with plastic tube/modelling lamp cover.
Battery Unit (with mains and car charging leads).
Mains lead for Flash Head
1/4" Jack Sync lead
Standard reflector with slot for umbrella
Modelling Lamp

I originally ordered just the 300w/s unit as I was not sure of the quality of the item. I immediately ordered the 600w/s unit after receipt of the 300w/s unit.

The units have high impact plastic ends on an aluminium casing and the knobs and switches all seem to be of a decent standard.

Quantuum2white.jpg

I have tried some tests with the 300w/s version as currently my 600w/s is stored high up on an Autopole with a 1.7mtr softbox on it and I can't be arsed to get it all down, will add the 600w/s readings and timings later along with some photographs, although it looks very similar to the 300w/s unit.

Full Power mains about 1.5 secs f22 (1)
1/2 power mains about 1 sec f16
1/4 power mains about 0.5 sec f11.(2)
1/8 power mains about 0.5 sec f8 (1)
1/16 power mains < 0.5 sec f6.3 (2)
1/32 power mains < 0.5 sec f5.6 (1)

Cooling fan (quiet) runs at all times when mains powered and the modelling light functions are available if required.

Full power battery 3.5 secs f22 (2)
1/2 power battery 2 secs f16 (2)
1/4 power battery 1 sec f11 (1)(0)(1)
1/8 power battery < 1 sec f8
1/16 power battery 0.5 sec f6.3 (2)(1)(2)
1/32 power battery < 0.5 sec f5.6 (1)

The cooling fan does not run when using the battery as a power source and the modelling light function is not available.

Readings were taken on a Sekonic L-758D set to ISO 100, at exactly 1.8 mtrs from the flash tube using the supplied standard reflector, three readings were taken at each marked setting, figures in brackets are 1/10ths stop. Where there is no or only one figures in brackets then the reading was identical for all three attempts at that setting.

What this did show was that the flash only has a 4 stop differential range rather than the marked 5 stop range, but the outut is remarkably consistent. There are also a few slight click indents between each marked setting allowing further more accurate settings to be made and repeated if required.

Quantuum1white.jpg

Quantuum4white.jpg

Quantuum3white.jpg

Quantuum5white.jpg

The units were purchased from Foto-Tip in Poland and by standard delivery which was very good. I have no connection with Foto-Tip other than as a very satisfied customer.

Forgot to add the prices as advised by Richard in the post below. 300w/s was £206 and the 600w/s was £290.

;)

Last edited:
Thanks for that Ed :) You forgot to mention the best bit - the price!

Thanks Ed... (y) Seem like a bit of a bargain.

P.S. You also forgot to mention that they are Bowens S-fit... :D

what is the connector on the output of the battery pack, going to the flash? Looks a bit dodge tbh.

How many pops at full power can you get on a full battery charge, and is the exposure consistent?

Sorry for all the questions...

what is the connector on the output of the battery pack, going to the flash? Looks a bit dodge tbh.

How is that then? It's a sort of DIN style plug into the battery which can be pulled out if the cable is accidently pulled whilst the other end of the cable has a screw connector to fit into the bottom of the flash head.

How many pops at full power can you get on a full battery charge, and is the exposure consistent?

Not sure as I have never yet run out of power, but then, I do not go around machine gunning my images.

Yes, if you look at the test results above the exposure is very consistent, both on battery and on mains.

Sorry for all the questions...

Not a problem.

Anyone have any idea of the flash duration on these heads?

Back