Question about Lightroom/PSE

Llamaman

Proud Addick
Name
Not an addick!
Edit My Images
Yes
Before moving to m4/3, I had a Nikon DSLR. I shot in RAW, and when importing photos from the camera, the Nikon software had an option to create JPEGs using the settings the camera had (e.g. white balance), as if I had shot JPEG in the first place. I found this useful, as in general I don't tinker with my shots, but it's handy to have the RAW if you want it later (and shooting RAW+JPEG in camera is slower and wasteful of memory if you don't need to do it).

I now have a Panasonic CSC and am thinking of doing the same (I've been shooting JPEG only until now) - does Lightroom or PSE have the same functionality, or is it limited to software provided by the camera manufacturer only?

I'm thinking of buying Lightroom anyway for indexing & basic editing, but this would be an added bonus...

Lightroom certainly doesnt have that function out of the box, its usually limted to the makers software, although Lightroom does have aa few Nikon D2X esque presets.
The best way would be to google presets made by others to emulate the built in picture styles from the panny.

Cheers, that's all useful to know.

Does this mean that when importing files RAW files into Lightroom, you have to select the WB for each photo/group of photos? Or does LR do a "best guess"? (Excuse my ignorance, I've got no idea how this stuff works). I assume you can do batch processing, but WB in particular will vary from shot to shot as most of my photos sessions are a right mixture of lighting conditions.

I guess the easiest thing is to shoot RAW + JPEG in camera, but would that then mess with Lightroom's cataloging system (i.e. it won't associate a particular RAW file with the corresponding JPEG)?

Lightroom does read the WB setting from the image file and applies it automatically. It shows As Shot in LR. What it doesn't apply are the picture styles etc that you can set in camera to influence the JPEG look.

Thanks Jukka, that's exactly what I needed to know. I've never tinkered with the JPEG settings in camera anyway, so that isn't a concern.

Time to order a copy of Lightroom... :)

Andy, just a quick note on the in-camera JPEG settings.. they DO affect how the image looks on the camera screen and MAY affect the historgram displayed. So you might want to google up on the best settings to evaluate pics on the field from the rear screen.. I just leave my cameras on a Neutral / Faithful setting as that's what I'm used to.

Thanks everyone!

Is there a book that people would recommend for Lightroom? Is the Scott Kelby one the best?

I have read a few by Scott Kelby and I find them really useful and easy to read, he does have a particular writing style which is not everybody’s cup of tea but I don’t find it a problem.

The books are crammed full of useful information and the hard part is remembering it all!

Spoony said:
I have read a few by Scott Kelby and I find them really useful and easy to read, he does have a particular writing style which is not everybody’s cup of tea but I don’t find it a problem.

The books are crammed full of useful information and the hard part is remembering it all!

Kelby for me too. Plenty of cringeworthy phrases but the serious content is good and easy to understand. I tend to read twice, digest what I can and keep the book to hand on the desk for easy reference. One day it may all sink in but for now I'm happy to remember just the bits I use often and search the index when needing more.

Regards
Neil

Back