Question About Moon Shots

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
What settings do you normally use for taking shots of the moon, i would be using my 70-300mm VR, so what would you recommend ? many thanks for your thoughts ;)

Somewhere around ISO100, 1/125 @ f/8 is a good starting place. Don't forget the moon is lit up by the sun so it's really a daytime type of exposure you need (y)

Somewhere around ISO100, 1/125 @ f/8 is a good starting place. Don't forget the moon is lit up by the sun so it's really a daytime type of exposure you need (y)

will give that one a try, just a thought i tried this a couple of weeks ago, i had my camera on a tripod and used a shutter release, i had the settings at about 1/125 and f/14 to f/16 anyway sometimes the lens seemed to be what i can only describe as juttering, would this be something to do with the VR on the Nikon or just the small light from the moon on a black sky making it do this,or should i be worried about the lens ??

What settings do you normally use for taking shots of the moon, i would be using my 70-300mm VR, so what would you recommend ? many thanks for your thoughts ;)

There is a "show me your moon shots" thread around here somewhere, all (well mostly) taken with 300mm or less lenses
you should be able to get some EXIF data off of there
HTH

Do you the shots were blurred or the lens was moving/making a noise?

Yes now and again the lens was moving and making a noise, like it seemed to be struggling to focus :shrug:

Manual focus is probably a better option and you could turn VR off as well unless it's a bit windy.

Manual focus is probably a better option and you could turn VR off as well unless it's a bit windy.

I don't know about Nikon, but with Canon you are supposed to turn off "IS" when tripod mounted ( I assume VR is the same as IS?)

So it,s nothing to worry about then ? not a fault with the lens or anything ?

Hard to say for certain without seeing it happen but assuming the lens is working well otherwise it was probably just the AF having problems getting a lock, esp. if the focus point was over flat grey moon.

I know I stuggled to AF on a full moon ( then lens hunted around) with my canon 70-300 IS

Hard to say for certain without seeing it happen but assuming the lens is working well otherwise it was probably just the AF having problems getting a lock, esp. if the focus point was over flat grey moon.

Yes it,s been ok apart from that one incidence, so probably just hunting,i will have to take it out now and have a good play just to put my mind at rest.

Back