Question about photographing Cricket locally

Name
Amin
Edit My Images
Yes
Next to my place there is a local cricket ground amongst some hockey and football fields, and I was thinking today of dropping by there and getting a few shots of them playing cricket. These are all adults although on other times and fields just across some kids sometimes train but my question is specifically regarding these adults playing. Do I need to approach anyone and ask if its ok for me to take some shots? I wouldn't know to begin with who to approach as these just look some community people getting around and messing and getting some fitness.
I would like to have a go at some sports activities as I have neve dipped into this. It suddenly occurred to me that I have so many oportunities around my place here as its sorrounded with playing fields where on weekends and evenings sometimes there are plenty of sports activities going around inclusive there are some BMX tracks also next to the ground where kids occasionally go and practise some bike tricks. Never tried to photograph them although quite a few times I have been tempted to. I go to these grounds to play with my kids and fly kites sometimes so it would be a perfect oportunity to practise some high octane shots.

Any suggestions please on how should I get on with this?
I am the kind of shy person that feels awkward and weary of sometimes stepping into something when suddenly someone doesn't like to be photographed and can react awkwardly. Although this might just be an unnecessary feeling as most often people are quite forthcoming. A few weeks ago I was at the local marina and some people were skiing and I approached the lad who was about to go into the lake for his turn and asked if he was ok to be photographed, and he was in fact quite happy and keen even and I gave him my flickr site for him to view his pics later on. Then the turn of a lady came I asked him if she would be ok also to be photographed, and when he asked her she hesitated a bit and kind of was not exactly very happy but after a few seconds of undecision told him that it was ok. When he turned to me and said she was ok I said "well it looked like she wasn't exactly happy at first but in the end this is a public place and she can't exactly say no to me photographing her while she is in the lake" he also agreed and said "yes and you just did it out of courtesy but she can't really stop photographing". Next lady who had already had had her turn before I photographed was so disappointed that she wasnt going to be photographed that kept on asking me if I was going to drop by next sunday again to do some shots to which I replied it would depend on weather.

So please enlighten me on these issues so it might help me confront situations such as this.
Whether I am correct in assuming I can photograph anyone in publick places and open local grounds such as this etc. Although no matter what I do stay away from places that kids would be playing. I have had a nasty experience with cops being called once when I was not even anywhere near kids playing ground, and was photographing bugs with my macro lens in the woods but someone called the cops saying there was someone in the woods nearby with a telephoto lens. Cops gave me a grilling and in the end let me go after apologising and even saying I could go on photographing as they couldn't stop me. To which I immediately replied that the whole pleasure was gone after those ten minutes of checking me up, my full name and address and even photos in the camera being checked by them.
So all in all this has knocked my confidence of a bit.

Help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Amin

Legally, no problems - they're on public land (I think) or Local council property, but out of courtesy, I'd speak to someone there beforehand, maybe the club secretary. Tell them what you're about and offer some contact details: offering an address and contact phone number is something dodgy characters are unlikely to do - same at the other venues mentioned.

Legally, no problems - they're on public land (I think) or Local council property, but out of courtesy, I'd speak to someone there beforehand, maybe the club secretary. Tell them what you're about and offer some contact details: offering an address and contact phone number is something dodgy characters are unlikely to do - same at the other venues mentioned.

Thanks Rob, that sounds to be a great way of satisfying all parties involved and also might give me a foothold into the local community in photography terms and help me get acquainted with the local lads. Who knows some requests for prints might even originate from this type of approach and getting socially involved.
I should have done this long time ago but never occurred actually :)
Thanks for your response and help on this

Amin

Hey Amin

I do the local midweek cricket league up here in North East best thing to do is talk to local team and find out re league and also chat to them. The only problem you may have is re under 18's.Because I liaise with the league and teams, they have a child welfare officer so get consent forms.I don't need them most of the time but it covers my back.
When I get requested to do a game I email the opposition to advise them re I'll be there and advising them re children and they usually advise which players if any are not allowed to be photographed.
After a while most of the local players get used to you being there and you become part of the banter. if you do Saturday and Sunday games you might even get tea.
I dont make a fortune but its a great way to spend time.
Main thing is to enjoy.

Carolyn

Any sport, Any age group, any place.. find out who is going to be playing and email them in advance... tell them who you are.. why your photogprahing and what your going to do with the pics..

Thats it... You dont have to do any of the above.. but IMHO that is the way you should approach all sports for best results :)

Back