Question about using flash with Leica S007 SL plus Hassy 503

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Okay so I have a question,

I am planning a photoshoot next week in a hotel room and plan to use my S007 as the main camera, SL as a back up and the Hassy 503 for fun. I have 2 Profit B1 heads plus a SB58 flash. My plan is to just take one B1 head (carryon weight limited) plus the SB58

I have used the Profoto heads with my S007 and 503 already and also used the SB58 on the SL (without much success..........human error I guess)

My question is should I just use the one B1 head and be done with it or is there a way to use the B1 head as the main light and the SB58 as a hair light...........is that possible and if so how do I set that up???

So I guess there is a setting on the flash for slave. My flash is in Malaysia and I'm in Thailand right now.......

I don't think the SB 58 has a slave, but I'm sure you could get an adaptor

Optical slave, either built-in or third-party, is a good and easy solution. May not be reliable outdoors and pre-flashes might be a problem in auto-TTL mode.

But wouldn't this be an opportunity to get another Profoto Air remote receiver/trigger, to sync up any other brand of flash as and when?

ps Personally, I'd pack the other B1 and leave the Hasselblad 503 behind...

Last edited:
Optical slave, either built-in or third-party, is a good and easy solution. May not be reliable outdoors and pre-flashes might be a problem in auto-TTL mode.

But wouldn't this be an opportunity to get another Profoto Air remote receiver/trigger, to sync up any other brand of flash as and when?

ps Personally, I'd pack the other B1 and leave the Hasselblad 503 behind...
Richard
I have two remotes, one Air remote and one Profoto Nikon remote, I also have a Nikon 910 flash as well ............... is there a way I can make that work with just one B1 head and one hair/fill speedlight
I ve got all this equipment but really never used it and dont want to be a real knob fumbling around with it at the beginning of the shoot :( :(

The link to the SF 58 manual I posted above tells how to set it to optical slave mode. The SB910 also has optical slave mode built in (SU-4 mode). If optical is problematic, I believe you could use one Profoto transceiver on the camera and the other connected to the SB910 by cable. I don't think the SF58 has a sync port.

The link to the SF 58 manual I posted above tells how to set it to optical slave mode. The SB910 also has optical slave mode built in (SU-4 mode). If optical is problematic, I believe you could use one Profoto transceiver on the camera and the other connected to the SB910 by cable. I don't think the SF58 has a sync port.
I will be back home in Malaysia on Saturday............I will have a play with it all and see if I can get it to work :)
Thanks

Richard
I have two remotes, one Air remote and one Profoto Nikon remote, I also have a Nikon 910 flash as well ............... is there a way I can make that work with just one B1 head and one hair/fill speedlight
I ve got all this equipment but really never used it and dont want to be a real knob fumbling around with it at the beginning of the shoot :( :(

Nikon SB-910 is a very good gun. So is the Leica SF-58 (an over-branded Metz I think) but the Nikon certainly has all the remote features you need, ie co-ax sync port to plug in a Profoto Air remote trigger, plus an optical slave option. It'll be full manual control though.

This is the kind of situation I often find myself in working with flash outdoors - mixing and matching different brands and types of equipment. I hate that, it's complicated and can be confusing if things need changing on the day - if you don't press exactly the right buttons in exactly the right order, and there are lots of them, it doesn't bluddy work :mad: If this rings a bell with you, have a look at Godox - a total system, from speedlights to battery location flash to studio heads, all using one on-camera remote-control/trigger. All top spec kit, and if carry-on weight is an issue, the new AD-200 is attracting a lot of interest - not yet available, thread here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/godox-ad200.644006/

Back