Question for Canon 1D-X owners

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
We know that the 1D-X is the most weatherproof camera in the Canon DSLR range - but would you take yours into the environment known as the Songkran Festival in Thailand? The festival of water? It can be a pretty wet place - but I imagine there'll be lots of great photographic opportunities. For those that don't know the festival - it involves a lot of heavy duty water pistols, a few elephants spraying water with their trunks and the odd fire appliance hose here and there. Do you think it's up to the job? There'd be likely more than a few splashes if you spent the day outside shooting.

I have heard several people say that they have used their cameras in downpours with no ill effects. I would not take my 1DX into that sort of environment without some form of cover for lens and camera. I really can't see the point of testing its weather sealing just for the sake of a few quid because if it goes wrong then you'll wish that you had bought a cover for it.

It's a no brainier for me, I'd look to buy a glorified plastic bag cover Like the EWA Marine for a few hundred quid. Festival sounds fun though.

I was thinking of the plastic covers - but they do seem a bit fiddly. Not sure you can 'easily' access controls as they tend to claim. I'd like to be using the 70-200 - but most bags don't accomodate the size.. Needs to be something I think about a little more :)

There are plenty of covers that will take a 70-200 no problem.

I have been out in very heavy rain at motorsports events without any covers and that was with a 1D mk3, absolutely fine!

Mind you, even I wouldn't bet against an elephant spray:rolleyes:

Mine have been in downpours with no ill effects but I'd shy away from water under pressure....I'm sure that scenario is beyond Canon's test criteria.

Bob

I would use it in the rain but cover it up and my lenses too but in general If it rains my gear goes away.

Rob.

I'm quite happy to - and have on many occasions used it in the rain - but maybe a passing blast from an unexpected water canon might be a bit much.

Back