Question for Lowepro Flipside Users

Edit My Images
Yes
Having done some reading I like the idea of not having to remove your rucksack and put it down to access your gear. However in the real world I'm looking for some feedback on how often you make use of this feature please

About once or twice in my case, found it less than comfortable taking my arms out of the back straps and twisting it around to the front. Also requires that the waistband is used, I do sometimes, but most of the time not.

Another problem I found was the zips don't open quite enough to give unhindered access to the main compartment,even more problematical when trying to access it still attached.

Easier to take it off especially as the design keeps the bit that goes against your back clean when placed to open on the ground

Last edited:
To be honest I've never done it. Always taken it off and laid it down. Still a very good bag and one that I think I'll always keep.

About three or four times in 3 years of ownership. To be honest that's not a feature that I looked at when I bought it - size, comfort and the fact it was more secure than a normal rucksack when in a crowd were what sold it to me. Ive got two, the 300 and 400.

Every time I wore it. Found it very useful - I have 2 young kids and when out and about (walks, national trust places etc) and the wife said 'hold this' (usually my three year old!) quick slide of the bag, zip open and in the camera went.) as I am doing more walking now I've just sold mine on the forum and will be getting a ruck sack version - mine was the sling.

I've got the Flipside 400, and I have used the 'access without removing the bag' feature approximately once, which was when I first unpacked it - totally happy with the bag though, access could be a little easier, but always been a fan of having the camera compartment open towards my back from a security point of view.

Thanks for the real world views. It would appear that the idea is better than the reality. I quite like the idea of a compact rucksack like the flipside sport but with a bit more space for non photo gear such as a bit of food or to stuff a jumper etc.

I've got a Lowepro Nature Trekker for when I want to take everything but find the bag a little on the heavy side when travelling light.

I have a flipside 400 which I love but I've recently bought a hatch back 22l which has a smaller compartment at the back and lots of room at the top for jumper food etc. They have just brought out a new version of it so I got mine really cheap.

I also have the hatchback 22; bought in preference to the flipside 300 as I wanted the split storage.
It is a great bag and comfy when out walking but has no provision for a tripod so I have to use a separate bag or strap which can be annoying.

Yeah the lack of a tripod holder is a little annoying but I don't mind carrying it.

I'm sure camera bag manufacturers purposely leave out certain things to make the quest for the perfect camera bag impossible (n)

Last edited:
Never. Also it's frustrating that the zips dont go down far enough so the 'flap' constantly flips back and gets annoying.

I fasten the waist strap and it holds the back panel in place on the flipside, but the hatch back seems okay.

We've got four of them, (one the biggest size) and we only use the flip part if the ground is wet or dirty, but it works fine, the very bottom of the bag (nearest the waist belt) is the only slightly akward bit as the zips stop just short of the bottom, but it's not a problem, I've got mine set up with a body and lens in the bottom centre and I have no problems getting it out easily enough.
Mines been out in really heavy rain and the built in rain cover kept it dry inside (sadly it didn't keep me dry as well) the bags also been in some rough stuff and seems fine, they are pretty well made and tough, the only issue we've had was one of the guys lost the chest strap thingy when it got caught and he pulled it off the slider/ajuster but it was easly fixed after he found it.
All in all a good bag.

Back