Question for Nikon 18-200mm VR lens owners?

feek

Herbert
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Maybe a stupid question, but how can i set up a shot that will test out the vibration reduction feature on the lens? I've found that some shots are better with the VR off and just want to set up a shot that will show the difference between on and off. Many thanks.

Funnily enough I was trying exactly this last night as a new owner of that lens. I managed to fairly consistently prove to myself that the VR actually does something useful just by taking indoor shots in the living room of nothing in particular, hand held obviously just adjusting the shutter speed below about 1/8 maybe 1/15 and faster it did help. I haven't quite got to the bottom of understanding the relative merits and circumstances in which you'd use the Normal or Active modes though.

I've found that some shots are better with the VR off...
Really? What kinds of shots? What do you mean by "better"? Show us an example?

Hi Stewart- i was attending a social function at a resturant with friends and the lighting was not too bad. I started to take photos with VR on, then when I checked the first few shots, they weren't sharp. I turned off VR and it improved sharpness? Sorry but i deleted the bad ones.:bonk::bonk:

. I haven't quite got to the bottom of understanding the relative merits and circumstances in which you'd use the Normal or Active modes though.

The only reference to using the "active" mode I can find is that you use it when shooting from a moving vehicle!

I suspect there is more to it than that though....
Allan

Hi Stewart- i was attending a social function at a resturant with friends and the lighting was not too bad. I started to take photos with VR on, then when I checked the first few shots, they weren't sharp. I turned off VR and it improved sharpness? Sorry but i deleted the bad ones.:bonk::bonk:
Perhaps you could show us one of the good ones? Or at least tell us something about the kind of focal length and exposure you were using?

The only thing that springs to my mind is to wonder whether you were giving the VR long enough to do its job. If you just press the shutter button, you might be actually taking pictures whilst the VR is "warming up", and goodness knows what that would do to the image. To use VR properly you have to lighly press the shutter button to activate it, wait ½-1 second, and then shoot. (Apologies if you already knew that... as I said I can't think of any other explanation.)

Thanks for that Stewart, I really didn't know that you have to lightly press the shutter button, I only press to focus. Will try that next time. Do you know how or what the VR actually comprises of or how it works?
Many thanks

Back