Question for 'Poota 'Sperts on Outlook Synch ... ?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys 'n gals ... I wonder if anyone can assist this non-'poota 'spert in solving a little problem please ... :shrug:

I have a Lappy and a Desktop set up on a home network and working very well surprisingly as I managed it all myself ... :cautious: ... well very nearly ... ;)

I have sorted the direct network synchronisation of all directories and files I need to see off-line on either machine ... with the single exception of MS Outlook ... :bang: ... (I am on XP and MS Office Professional Edition 2003)

SO ... in order to synchronise my diaries between the two Outlooks I use my mobile and synch this with first one and then the other 'poota ... OK so far even if it does leave me having to tidy up a little ... :shrug: ... better than doing it all manually.

However ... I have singularly failed so far to synchronise my e-mails from one to the other ... :help:

I seem to remember from my corporate days the IT guys used to set me up with some sort of .pst system whereby I could access away from the office and synchronise when I next logged on ... ?

I move my e-mails to various directories and sub-directories under a Personal Folders system on each 'poota !

Question ... Is it possible to have more than one Personal Folder set-up on each machine and can I transfer/replace these while I am networked, say, on a daily basis to ensure I am able to see all e-mails from either 'poota on each one at any time/all the time ... :shrug: ... and if it is possible then HOW is it achieved please ?

EDIT NOTE ... I have tried the so-called software for synching Outlook available on the web but none work properly or satisfy my needs ... !

I hope that lot makes some sort of sense & :ty: muchly in advance for your assistance ... ;)

:p

If you are using Outlook in internet email mode it will already have a PST file Rog.

If you right click on the Outlook icon and click properties, then data files you can find where it stores it, then you can always copy it to the other machine in the location where it is there, just remember outlook has tobe closed and not running to allow this to be copied over :)

You could even use the microsoft synctoy http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx to syncronise the 2 files (as long as outlook is shutdown on both computers) this will copy everything (in outlook, minus the email settings) from one machine to the other

If you are using Outlook in internet email mode it will already have a PST file Rog.

If you right click on the Outlook icon and click properties, then data files you can find where it stores it, then you can always copy it to the other machine in the location where it is there, just remember outlook has tobe closed and not running to allow this to be copied over :)

Thanx Ian ... (y)

However ... guess I wasn't clear enough in the first place ... :shrug:

Ideally what I need/want to do is have the two sets of Personal Folders viewable on each machine which I can then update/copy/replace as necessary ?

The reason is the e-mails will come into my Outlook Inbox on whichever 'poota is up and running at various times - (Frinfo all my e-mail addresses, and Jill's, come into Outlook !)

Is it possible to have the two sets of data in separate Personal Folders on each machine ... :shrug:

Cheers,

Rog...:p

176.png

I think I have sussed it Ian ... thanx mainly to your pointing me at the Data Files thingy ... :D

Just copied and pasted these to an appropriate folder, via the network, for each 'poota first ... :cautious:

And then Add a .pst folder via the Options drop-down and hey presto it immediately shows up in the Outlook e-mail screen as another Personal Folder ... even though I renamed them when copied it still calls them Personal Folders ... :shrug:

So ... in short yes you can have more than one Personal Folders listing ... but they are all called Personal Folders ... heyho ... :D

Just got to keep copying and pasting to keep them up to date now ... :cautious:

Thanx for your help Ian ... (y)

ah right lol see what you mean now, and yes you can have more than one pst as you have found, you can also rename them right click on the left hand pane where the Archive folder is and click properties, then advanced, and it should allow you to change its name there :)

Cannot change it directly by using right click and Properties as Change Name is greyed out ... :shrug:

However ... and I'm learning fast all the time ... ;) ... you can change their names in the Options drop-down by highlighting and Settings button ... (y) ... I'm SORTED ... YaY ...
bananallama.gif

Cheers again Ian ... ;)

Back