Question for spectacle wearers

Edit My Images
Yes
Do you use an eyecup on your viewfinder?

I find that I sometimes have problems seeing the full image in the viewfinder - usually not being able to see the setting information. It mainly happens as my glasses slide down my nose a bit plus the fact that they are vari-focals seems to make it worse.

My eyesight is not that bad - mainly astigmatism - so I could probably get away with not wearing them when using the camera and using the dioptre adjustment on the viewfinder to compensate. the only downside is fiddling about taking them on and off as I need them for reading, e.g. maps.

How do others cope?

i just live with out being able to see the whole image through the viewfinder and lots of finger prints on my glasses:shrug:

I also have varifocals and don't have any problems. By eyecup, do you mean the rubber thing that sits behind the viewfinder?

I take my glasses off and just use the diopter adjustment on the view finder - I find it just about impossible to keep my glasses on.

Worn specs since I was a young lad, so not noticed anything with regard to the eyecup as I have always had them.

I have bifocals and use the eyecup but I still have to set the dioptre to suit my specs.

I still have to make a conscious effort to read all the settings though, so usually set them up outwith the viewfinder.

I wear varifocals with no problem and if I use contacts then the diopter thingy seems to give me an accurate view. Hadn't thought about it being a possible problem until your thread. Now I've thought about it..... No prob (y)

Neil

I have only recently started wearing glasses so still not used to them in general so I take them off for taking photos. I am short sighted and can see close text just fine but the dioptre adjustment doesn't allow me to set it far enough to be able to focus on the vf text. I will probably buy one of the adaptors that is made for people who wear glasses.

I take my glasses off and just use the diopter adjustment on the view finder - I find it just about impossible to keep my glasses on.

Same here, but my eyesight isn't too bad. It just feels more comfortable at things like sports events or the cinema to wear glasses as i'm a little short sighted. When I'm out taking photos I use the diopter on the camera so everything through the viewfinder is perfect. I'd just get contacts if it gets worse though, I couldn't keep messing about with glasses.

I will probably buy one of the adaptors that is made for people who wear glasses.
What adaptors? Am i wrong in thinking that rubber eyecups are intended for spec wearers? I always thought they were :thinking:

Hmm, there's something like that on the viewfinder already. Now I'm confused :thinking: :shrug:

I think you can get add ons to the viewfinders for people with more extreme needs than the diopter that comes with the camera.

I went for an eye test a few weeks ago and the optician said that I would probably find reading small text easier without my new glasses and I find this to be true.
I'm short sighted but for years I've always worn my glasses as I find it more convenient.
However, it doesn't seem any different to me when I look through the viewfinder with or without my glasses.

I think you can get add ons to the viewfinders for people with more extreme needs than the diopter that comes with the camera.

Ah, right, thanks.

The device that comes fitted to the camera - but is removable - doesn't allow the viewfinder cover that's on the camera strap to fit. Took me ages to work out that the dioptre device is removable (the instructions just said the cover fits over the viewfinder) :bang:

I posted about this when I first joined.

My solution... it depends on what I am shooting, but I often remove my glasses when taking a shot.

That can't fix astigmatism which is a problem with the muscles that focus the eye.

Laser surgery can't but they corrected mine with conventional surgery - 2 ops a few years apart when I was a child. Mind you, that might be a bit drastic if you can buy an adaptor for the viewfinder instead! :)

I started using the Canon EP EX15 (here) to help me see all the viewfinder with my glasses on. Im very short sighted so I cant use the diopter adjustment on the camera and would find it very difficult and awkward if I was to switch to and fro while looking through the viewfinder.

It does shrink the viewfinder quite considerably though as it's a 0.5x magnification if thats an issue for you but I find being able to comfortably see all of it much better than having to move my head to see the extents of the viewfinder.

I started using the Canon EP EX15 (here) to help me see all the viewfinder with my glasses on. Im very short sighted so I cant use the diopter adjustment on the camera and would find it very difficult and awkward if I was to switch to and fro while looking through the viewfinder.

It does shrink the viewfinder quite considerably though as it's a 0.5x magnification if thats an issue for you but I find being able to comfortably see all of it much better than having to move my head to see the extents of the viewfinder.

I use one of these on my 5D (and an old 10D too). I found that with the standard eyecup and glasses, my nose was pressed up against the LCD screen and using the extender keeps my face back a bit 15mm I think). I can also see the info. in the viewfinder better too.

Anthony.

To be honest, I've never noticed a problem like that wearing my glasses - I've worn contact lenses for the last 21 years though, makes a hell of a difference:)

To be honest, I've never noticed a problem like that wearing my glasses - I've worn contact lenses for the last 21 years though, makes a hell of a difference:)

I'll 2nd that. Got conjunctivities at the moment so I'm back to specs after being in contacts for a year straight. I can't use manual focus for S%*£ and it's getting on my nerves.......:bang:

I have to wear glasses to use the camera and have found that I can see two sides of what will be captured but miss a tiny bit so, for instance although I cannot see the top of someone's head I know it will be in the picture.

The worst problems I find are my glasses steaming up so I cannot see anything or when I go to the beach on a rough day and my glasses get salty and I wonder why everything I look at is blurred - oh yes and when it is raining or snowing. I wonder if you can get lenshoods for glasses?

Try wearing varifocals and being totally left-eyed! I'm still getting used to the 40D viewfinder, but I have to move my head about a bit to see the screen info - but I'm getting to know what will be in the final image and then I can always crop if needs be.

Try wearing varifocals and being totally left-eyed! I'm still getting used to the 40D viewfinder, but I have to move my head about a bit to see the screen info - but I'm getting to know what will be in the final image and then I can always crop if needs be.

I am also completely left eyed and, as long as I adjust the diopter, I don't seem to hgave a problem with varifocals. Or maybe I do and just don't realise how crp I am! :D

That can't fix astigmatism which is a problem with the muscles that focus the eye.

Ive not long had laser surgery and I suffered from astigmatism in my left eye, nothing too major but it did mean I was to use Toric contacts in my left eye, and they said they would rectify it with the surgery. It lasted no more than 20 mins in total and about 2 weeks for my eyesight to be spot on again but worth every bloody penny for the 10 or so years I should get without needing glasses again.

I do struggle with glasses and the view finder, I can cope with it but just find it annoying.
I usually wear contacts now if I am going out with the camera. It's whatever works for you I guess.

As for laser surgery, I'm too much of a big scaredy cat for that.:confused:

I am short sighted, not badly but i wear a band around the arms of my glasses £1.99 from Asda. and just pull my glasses down when I use the camera.

Pete

I wear varifocals - a combination of advancing years leading to being increasingly longsighted and some astigmatism. (Correction to the poster who stated that this is a defect of the musculature of the eye - astigmatism is a refractive error caused by the cornea not being spherical. Everybody has some degree of astigmatism although for a great many people it causes no problem. It is another problem which tends to get worse as one gets older).

I have no problem seeing the whole of the viewfinder area when wearing my spectacles and don't bother with a rubber eyecup. Without my specs the built in viewfinder adjustment on my D40 and F5 is enough and I have a screw-on finder lens on the F3 which does the same job.

Back