Question for street photographers

GHP

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a quick one, and it's probably been asked before, but I can't find it.

I am thinking of starting a "stop a stranger and ask them if I can take their portrait" type of project
and was wondering if those of you who have done this type of thing get the stranger to sign a model release?

My original plan was to explain why I am doing it, and making sure they are OK with me posting their pics on, say, here and Flickr.
Would that be OK, or would I need something in writing? I feel that a release would sort of spoil the mood.

So, release or not?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers,
Gary

Personally I wouldn't bother. If a stranger wanted me to pose for them OK. Sign something for a random bloke. No chance

I done a bit,no release form here :)

Thanks for your responses, they are appreciated.
I agree with both of you TBH. I wouldn't sign something from a stranger, even though I would be happy to have my pic taken.

I understand the general rule for releases: ie if its for commercial work, then get a release, if it's for private projects, probably not worth it.
Is this general rule of thumb correct?
I would only be shooting on the street, not on private property or anywhere that has a restriction of any kind.

This is only from what I have picked up on TP, but I believe they are not necessary in the UK, though many pros use them in case the images are sold overseas where they may be. That is probably a gross simplification, but may be of use.

This is only from what I have picked up on TP, but I believe they are not necessary in the UK, though many pros use them in case the images are sold overseas where they may be. That is probably a gross simplification, but may be of use.

Thank you, this is something I thought I had read too, just wasn't sure. And I can't envisage anyone wanting to sell any images internationally ! (Would be nice though!)

A 'model release' would be worth exactly nothing anyway, so wouldn't bother wasting the time and creeping people out. Just talk to people and take photos.

Thank you. This basically my thinking too. Just got to pluck up the courage and have a go I think.

Thanks again for your replies.
Cheers,
Gary

I have some business cards pointing to my website. If I was doing a project like that, I'd give them them the ability to see the image, contact details.

I have some business cards pointing to my website. If I was doing a project like that, I'd give them them the ability to see the image, contact details.

Thank you, this is going to be my approach to it I think.

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary,
I am into my second round of 100 strangers. I don't ask the strangers to sign anything, I feel it would make the whole interaction/engagement a bit clunky.
I hand the strangers a card with all my contact details on. I don't ask for any details from them bar their first name. I explain that I post the photographs on flickr and my Facebook photography page.
Hope this helps.

Iain

Hi Gary,
I am into my second round of 100 strangers. I don't ask the strangers to sign anything, I feel it would make the whole interaction/engagement a bit clunky.
I hand the strangers a card with all my contact details on. I don't ask for any details from them bar their first name. I explain that I post the photographs on flickr and my Facebook photography page.
Hope this helps.

Iain

Actually Iain it is your project which made me decide to start planning my attempt.
I think it's inspirational.
I intend to use the same approach as you TBH, and I'm looking forward to making a start quite soon.
Thanks for reading my post.
Cheers,
Gary.

@GHP
Gary, not wishing to give advice, far from it but I would say go for it. Don't spend too long thinking about it. There was a bloke over on flickr, around the strangers group who planned starting his project. He wasn't starting until he had a specific lens, his business cards printed, etc, etc, but do you know, I don't think he ever started it.
Good luck!

@GHP
Gary, not wishing to give advice, far from it but I would say go for it. Don't spend too long thinking about it. There was a bloke over on flickr, around the strangers group who planned starting his project. He wasn't starting until he had a specific lens, his business cards printed, etc, etc, but do you know, I don't think he ever started it.
Good luck!

You're absolutely right !
The more I "plan" a project, the less likely it seems to be materialising !
That's it, I'm going to start on Monday.
Working until then, dammit !

That's a simple one to answer. If it's for private use, what are you going to do with a release?

Steve.

My thinking was that if I post it on, say, Flickr, and some-one saw it and thought it was the next shot for their worldwide ad campaign, and were prepared to pay a king's ransom for the privilege,
then where would I stand.
( I know, not exactly likely, but . . . .)

My thinking was that if I post it on, say, Flickr, and some-one saw it and thought it was the next shot for their worldwide ad campaign, and were prepared to pay a king's ransom for the privilege,

But that's not private use any more!

Steve,

I haven't been approached by anyone wishing to licence one of my stranger portraits Gary but I have for another shot where both a woman and the premises she is sitting in are quite recognisable.
I have never had anyone I've photographed sign a release of any description. I declined to sell the image for that reason. Different strokes for different folks but thats not why I shoot the project and street photography.
Cross that bridge when you come to it, but I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the project, I find it so enlightening, meeting so many individuals.

Cross that bridge when you come to it, but I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the project, I find it so enlightening, meeting so many individuals.

That's what I will do !
Looking forward to it already.
I'm just going to forget about the release forms !

I wonder if the paparazzi ask their subjects to sign a release before they sell their street photos?

Back