question for the "leftie" handed togs..

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Being left handed do you find it awkward having the shutter button on the right hand side of the camera :shrug:

If they made or ever thought of making a camera with the shutter on the left would you buy it???

I was bored whilst driving & this thought just popped into my head - so I thought that I would ask...

Also as you do get some other "productss" that are actually for the "lefties"...

Being left handed do you find it awkward having the shutter button on the right hand side of the camera :shrug:

If they made or ever thought of making a camera with the shutter on the left would you buy it???

I was bored whilst driving & this thought just popped into my head - so I thought that I would ask...

Also as you do get some other "productss" that are actually for the "lefties"...

Its 'normal' for me so hard to say if I'd find it awkward or not.

I used to play golf right handed because when I was younger I borrowed clubs from a friend who was right handed - I've just learnt to play that way. To be honest, if I picked up a left handed club now I'd make a right hash of it as I'm not used to it so that would feel awkward even though I'm left handed.

As a lefty, I have never given left handed photography a thought, the camera feels entirely natural to me.

On the other hand, I am trying to learn to play the guitar and I use a "southpaw" guitar - I find the lack of choice frustrating and infuriating. It drives me mad when I go to a guitar show and see hundreds of lovely guitars, with literally just 3 or 4 lefties to choose from. I wish I could use a right handed guitar.

Chris

never given it a thought. Use a mouse right handed. The only thing I find a pain is right handed scissors.

i am predominantly left handed, but growing up in a right handed world made me ambidextrous, teacher first notice when i was nine,

i hand wrote with my left hand on paper, wrote on the blackboard right handed:shrug:

the camera is fine in M mode on 5D :clap:

Merc

I'm right handed but my right eye doesn't work too well (well, it hardly works at all really) so, as it's become worse over the years I've had to learn to adapt.

Cameras don't bother me at all, practice I suppose, I just use my left eye with eye level cameras and get used to the fact that it's never comfortable.

Shooting is my biggest problem, I do a lot of it and have to fire with the gun or rifle on the left shoulder, which is always awkward. But, like everything else, you get used to it.

My Father had an Exacta Varex IIb (film camera from the 1950s/1960s) which was 'left-handed' and although being left-handed myself, I never found it easier to use and sold it on eBay some years after he died. All my own cameras over the years have been standard ones.

I do have my mouse set up left-handed, have left-handed scissors (a real God send) and if I played the guitar, it would have to be set up left-handed too.

Anthony.

As a lefty, I have never given left handed photography a thought, the camera feels entirely natural to me.
As another left, same. I have no problems using the camera as is. It'd feel kinda weird to hold it any other way really.

On the other hand, I am trying to learn to play the guitar and I use a "southpaw" guitar
I played guitar right handed, play golf right handed, baseball either way (really confused the hell out of the other team's catchers not knowing which I way I was gonna go til I actually stepped up to the plate), pool & snooker left handed though.

I'm left handed, but a right handed camera feels right to me.

I also play golf, baseball, darts, use a mouse etc all right handed.

interesting idea, and yeah, if something like that was available I'd have to go and try it. But TBH, its never been a problem using any "normal" camera in the past so I couldn't really see me bothering too much about it now

nikon did experiment with making a F100 with a left handed grip, but decided not to...

KR-WAP-2k.jpg

Wouldn't you just get used to using the same hands to do things as a right handed togs? American cars have the gear stick on the other side but left and right handed people drive them just the same.

I play golf, bat, use mouse and eat right handed, but play pool/snooker, write, play tennis etc left handed. If you're left eye dominant you can use that funny grip Joe Mcnally talks about for steadying the camera at insane shutter speeds too.

Another slightly odd thing for me is cutlery, I use a knife and fork in the usual way, but a spoon has to be in my left hand, I suppose it’s because my parents just set my knife and fork in the “normal” way.

In some ways I regret not going with a right handed guitar, there’s so much more choice – it’s the only issue where I have felt disadvantaged as a lefty. When starting out in the guitar world, a friend and music teacher handed me a guitar and said try it in both the left and right handed way - one way will feel more natural - unfortunately I was confirmed as a southpaw and it's too late to change.

The only option when writing is left handed, even then my handwriting is terrible.

I think we are about 10% of the population – anyone know if that is correct?

Chris

As with most things I think us lefties just get brought up to use things in a right-handed manner. Racquet sports, pool, writing etc I do left-handed because they're not specifically designed for either hand, but things like golf and well.. cameras.. I'm right-handed. I don't really see a camera as being right-handed though, you still use your left hand.

Still can't use right-handed scissors though lol, have to get someone else to use them for me.

I agree, it's what you're used to.

However, my left handed kitchen scissors from the left handed shop in the West End are really good so right handed ones now don't feel right.

Nope.
Write left handed but everything else is right handed apart from using a spoon which i use in my left hand.
Saying that, i generally do most things in either hand.

Possibly, for quite a while ive had to change from using mouse right handed to using it left handed due to MS affecting my right arm, this problem made me re-evaluate my camera gear and resulted in selling the D80 plus lens and getting a GF1 since my right arm couldnt support the weight of the D80 for long periods and having to mess with a monopod/tripod every time i wanted to use the camera basically stopped me taking the camera any where.

I write with my left hand but thats about it... play tennis right handed (although I can do just as well/bad with my left!), mouse with the right, shoot (guns) right handed (you have to with a lot of them anyway unless you want a face full of spent brass) and drive a RHD manual car ok. Oh and my camera, no problemo.

Another slightly odd thing for me is cutlery, I use a knife and fork in the usual way, but a spoon has to be in my left hand, Chris

My OH kids are right handed but they hold the knive & fork the other way round... Its quite weird knowing that they're right handedbut eat left handed if you get my meaning...

I've tried to focus my lens on my camera with my right hand but it dont arf feel weird - although I'm right handed...

Not read all the replies so someone might have already said this, but I find having the shutter button on the right hand means if/when I use a long and heavy lens I can cradle the lens in my stronger left hand meaning a more steady shot

I've tried to focus my lens on my camera with my right hand but it dont arf feel weird - although I'm right handed...

Equally odd - as a lefty, on the odd ocassion when I use manual focus, I use my right hand to adjust the focus - it just goes to show what odd lot we lefties are!

Chris

Equally odd - as a lefty, on the odd ocassion when I use manual focus, I use my right hand to adjust the focus - it just goes to show what odd lot we lefties are!

Chris

:LOL: you said it..... :p

Has it’s advantages … I use the mouse with my right hand and can write notes at the same time with my left, used to get a few comments at work:)

Got to agree about the scissors thing ***’

I am left handed and left eyed and i have no problem with the shutter button but do find it frustrating that the back of the camera obscures my vision in my right eye when shooting as its best to know whats going on around you when trackside just incase i have to run.

Back