question of sport

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all Ihave been asked to take some shots of a local rugby match never done it before any tips would be great I have a D50 I was going to use a 80 / 300 lens
I am not talking sports pages they just want shots for promo and to atract new players for next season thanks

When i do my sons football i use the sports program, with my D50 & 70-300 lens.

Pictures come out very good

i saw the thread title, and was already to type "yeh its rubbish, waste of airtime, not even funny, boring sports 'quiz' thats trying to be too much like that sports quiz with feel the sportsman and ian wright (is a pratt)" until i realised it wasnt actually about the rubbish sports quiz

probably similar to motorsports, shutter priority, fast shutter speed, servo focus and focus on the players

make sure you get some decent action in there, could look pretty good :)

Not tried it myself but I read somewhere that getting down lower to change the angle can make the shots more interesting as you don't just have grass behind the players as background. Also when the sun is out making hard shadows you can actually get better shots shooting towards the sun so the player are backlit.
Must have a go sometime :)

Oh yes, and shoot wide open to try to isolate the subjects from the background.

I endorse all that's been said. I shoot soccer and use TV, at least 250 maybe 400 if the light is good and don't forget to consider your ISO setting, that can give you an extra stop or two. I don't know about your lens but I certainly find IS a great help.

Try to get the player(s) to fill the frame but without cutting off heads and feet (unless you want close-ups). I try to anticipate action by following a player and then shoot at the optimum moment. A good trick/tip is to use one eye to look through the viewfinder while the other eye is seeing the whole scene - puts things into perspective. HTH.

regards

stepheno said:
A good trick/tip is to use one eye to look through the viewfinder while the other eye is seeing the whole scene - puts things into perspective. HTH.

regards

Thats okay if you are Marty Feldman!

mf.jpg

praxis said:
Thats okay if you are Marty Feldman!

ROFL - (he was brilliant in Young Frankenstein though;) )

I use the trick of using the "other" eye to follow the action for speedway stuff too - a lot of the time it's the only way of getting crash sequences.

Add 'make sure the ball is in the shot' to the list :)

Back