Question on photographers v marshals

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering what the situation was for those togs with media passes with regards to marshals telling you to move from a point which they consider too dangerous for you to be stood at?
Do you do as they say, ignore them etc?

*edit* I ask as a marshal, not a tog :) Some of the responses seem geared to me asking as a tog ! All good stuff though!

Last edited:
Look at the small print on "most" not all of the waivers you sign, you must obey their requests. A lot of circuits will give first time visitors a printout of regs and places where you can/cannot stand and tell you to listen to the marshals.

Remember they have radio contact with race control and things can and do change without much notice. Had an example of this at the weekend at Donington, normally told if course car on track we are ok to cross etc, they then decided to have no course car between races so they could get some time back after a few delays.

If you pee a marshal off remember they work at lots of tracks so you could get a bad name for yourself very easily.

I'd do as they say, as their main job is safety.

The chances are they will also have a better idea of where is safe from experience at the track.

I ask as I do a bit of marshaling and have seen togs in some risky places. Most of the locations are not public viewing areas for safety reasons so togs are almost always in "unsafe" areas anyway by definition but obviously there are degrees of risk. Im also aware that some marshals Ive worked with seem to be on a bit of a power trip and enjoy exerting their authority sometimes unnecessarily IMO.
I never have, but if I had to ask a tog to move I would be inclined to consider the risk presented to others first (bike riders etc) and if the tog wants to stand in the line of fire of a car thats his/her choice and I would only ask them to reconsider their location.

While Im on the subject, I noticed that you see togs with bibs from say Oulton Park at various other circuits. I thought the bibs were issued at media sign on so that the number printed on the bib relates to whats documented in the office and the tog can be identified?

Last edited:
The Oulton bibs could well be used at other MSV circuits, ie Cadwell, Snett and Brands.

It does seem as though there are different ideas as to where is safe at different circuits. Some tracks will make you stand behind the big catch fencing while other tracks allow you between the catch fence and barrier/tyre walls.

If you apply common sense then all is well, just remembering that a truck will easily take out everything in it's path, where a car or bike would stop.

I never have, but if I had to ask a tog to move I would be inclined to consider the risk presented to others first (bike riders etc) and if the tog wants to stand in the line of fire of a car thats his/her choice and I would only ask them to reconsider their location.

That's all thats ever happened to me...usually I speak to the marshals on a corner anyway, they have a pretty good idea if you're going to find yourself in a sticky situation.

I've been told "oooh, that's where John Smith came a cropper in the last race, came smacking straight into that barrier...you sure you want to stand there?"

Usually my response is "OK, cheers for the advice, i'll move down a bit".

The marshals are pretty well experienced and know a damn sight more than I do about the track, especially if I've just arrived at a corner between races and havent had a look at "danger spots"

Do you do as they say, ignore them etc?

I wear a lot of hats at different times at different motorsport events. One of them is as a photographer (amateur), one is as a marshal in my orange probans, one is a crash hat as a competitor and one is my panama when it's sunny and I'm clerk of the course.

If you ignore the marshal you'll probably end up with the clerk of the course removing your media accreditation for the event and ejecting you from the venue. At least that's what I'd do if you were signed on as media and ignored an instruction from a marshal when I was clerking.

You might have signed the indemnity when you arrived but I (or whoever is clerking) am still responsible for safety at the venue, including yours, and could end up giving evidence in a coroners court (or even a crown court) if there was a fatality.

I do exactly as the marshals tell me. As far as I am concerned, the marshals must always be obeyed. I always tell the marshals whenever I arrive at a point "If you want me to move then either tell me or just shove me out of the way". These men and women have to get to the accident asap whereas I just have to stand there with a camera. I have a lot of respect for them. Also they have access to radios and race control. This is very useful information. In return, between races, I feed them sweets and we discuss some photos. Sometimes if an observer wants to double-check the numbers of 2 cars involved in a mishap he or she will ask if I got any pictures and, if so, are the numbers clear?

Well, the marshalls are in charge and are there for everyone's safety, including yours.

Talk to them, be polite to them, respect their authority.

You sometimes see muppets doing none of those things, but there is no need to become a muppet.

Usually I find they like a laugh and a joke when neither of us are busy, which can break up the boredom between doing stuff.

They do a job I'd not particularly fancy, so hats off to them!

as a photographer I'll always do what a marshall asks me. Unless (like a very small minority of Marshalls do) they start acting like a little hitler and have no idea what is a safe spot or not.
But 99% of the time the Marshall/Photographer relationship is one of good humoured banter and general pee taking, so there's never a problem :)

as a photographer I'll always do what a marshall asks me. Unless (like a very small minority of Marshalls do) they start acting like a little hitler and have no idea what is a safe spot or not.
But 99% of the time the Marshall/Photographer relationship is one of good humoured banter and general pee taking, so there's never a problem :)

Totally agree...they're the best guys out there, plus they usually have quite sizeable coolboxes of drinks on warm days...better than spending £3 for a warm can of coke at most circuits.

Slightly different but as a footy tog I often sit behind the goal level with the edge of the penalty area,about 6 weeks a go a linesman asked me to move as I could have been hit by the ball.Since then I have checked before each match withn the refs who think that particular linesman was barmy

Being hit by a ball and being hit by a bike/car/truck is slightly different yes :)

I've been told "oooh, that's where John Smith came a cropper in the last race, came smacking straight into that barrier...you sure you want to stand there?"

To be honest though, once you've seen enough motorsport you realise that there isn't actually *any* safe places trackside. Things happen all over the place, just be prepared to duck/run and think about your exit strategy from every place you are...

To be honest though, once you've seen enough motorsport you realise that there isn't actually *any* safe places trackside. Things happen all over the place, just be prepared to duck/run and think about your exit strategy from every place you are...

absolutely true

its also one of the reasons i dont do BTCC anymore, those guys go off in all directions

Marshalls are very valuable aswell as being in charge or safety.

At Brands last year I arrived for the WTCC (first time watching the WTCC) and I spoke to some Marshalls and they told me about what was happening the previous day and mentioned that a few cars kept going off at the same corner. So I setup to cover that corner and get this aswell as a full set of it happening.

DSC_4369-4-3.jpg

That's very true...I very nearly came a cropper at combe a couple of times this year...the GT guys go off all over the place, and the classic Aston's are heavy beasts!

I have also had a right go at a guy who had somehow blagged a pass to a meeting, and decided it would be a really good idea to leave his rucksack about 2ft behind me...so when some guy in his Nova came skidding towards me I went arse over tit over his rucksack.

Boy did I give him hell. I've never seen someone look quite so embarrased. He ended up going to the next corner leaving the marshals giggling saying I was "a big meanie".

Felt quite embarrased myself and tried to catch up with him at another corner further round but he kept moving on to the next corner.

So, in the interests of amnesty...if you were the chap who got shouted at by me at the Castle Combe Formula Ford Carnival 2009 at Old Paddock bend...I'm sorry. But don't ever leave your rucksack in someone's "escape route".

I have also had a right go at a guy who had somehow blagged a pass to a meeting, and decided it would be a really good idea to leave his rucksack about 2ft behind me...so when some guy in his Nova came skidding towards me I went arse over tit over his rucksack.

hehe, i think id do the same and given him a verbal shoeing to be honest :LOL:

mind you togs at combe to tend to leave their stuff laying about...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilgates/5163357159/

Like a few of the others I'm a Marshal and a Photographer. When I'm Marshaling and tell photographers to move it's for their own safety or the safety of my team, not because I like being a Hitler but I do know several of my colleagues who do like to throw their weight around. In my experience though as long as Marshals ask Photographers to move politely they tend to do so although a few try and push their luck. Generally though the Marshal/Tog relationship is great and a few of my friends made during my time marshaling are Pro motor sport togs. As a point of warning though to any Togs who are working on a post I'm responsible for (I'm an Incident Officer as so in charge of the Incident Team on Post), I will advise you to move at first, if you won't I will ask you to move if you still won't move I will tell you (remember this is for the safety of both the Tog and my team). If you fail to move after being told I will report the matter to the Clerk and request that you be removed from the meeting.

Back