Question on TP-Link powerline units

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I have always had problems with my wifi reaching my attached garage (now converted), the router is on the other side of the main wall that the garage is attached to but something causes issues. So having mains cabling in the garage I recently installed a pair of TP-Link AV600 wifi adapters, one connected to the router and socket and the other connected to a socket in the garage ... everything worked brilliantly, TV, phone, tablets, TACX cycle trainer etc.

However, with the lockdown I have been using the Zoom conferencing system.
When on my tablet everything is fine but I prefer to use my laptop as it gives a better opportunity to view more/all other participants without constantly swiping back and forth.
Now because the AV600 has an ethernet socket I thought it would make sense to connect the laptop to it via an ethernet cable for a more reliable connection.
Works reliably BUT others have reported hearing a sound something like a fax tone all of the time ... this does not occur if I am using a tablet wirelessly.
So is it likely that the sound they are hearing is caused by the direct ethernet connection to the adapter?
It seems like the logical conclusion but I don't know, (will try the laptop wirelessly next time), I can hear none of this interference.

They work via your houses power circuits , so if some of the wiring his older not as modern or rings have a lot of use that could introduce slowdowns drops and other weird issues

They work via your houses power circuits , so if some of the wiring his older not as modern or rings have a lot of use that could introduce slowdowns drops and other weird issues

Thanks, I'll be trying it again tomorrow off ethernet and on to wi-fi so will see if it changes. :)

When you say " others have reported hearing a sound something like a fax tone all of the time " is that others in your house or other people on the zoom call?

Just to add I've got about 4 TP Link power line adaptors around the house, ethernet only, and they work fine. The only time I had a problem was when one was pluged into a double socket with a dodgy power adaptor in the socket next to it. Just moving the crappy power adaptor to another socket fixed the problem.

When you say " others have reported hearing a sound something like a fax tone all of the time " is that others in your house or other people on the zoom call?
Only people on the Zoom call.
Just to add I've got about 4 TP Link power line adaptors around the house, ethernet only, and they work fine. The only time I had a problem was when one was pluged into a double socket with a dodgy power adaptor in the socket next to it. Just moving the crappy power adaptor to another socket fixed the problem.
It's plugged into an unshared double socket, only other thing on that wall is the power to the bike trainer but that's always switched off at the socket when I'm on Zoom ... nearby in another socket is the TV.

If I am reading your OP correctly you use the tablet wirelessly but the laptop wired, so have you tried the laptop wirelessly? I'm wondering if it could be a fault with the laptop microphone rather than the TP unit. Do you have a microphone that you could plug into the laptop to see if that resolves the problem?

If I am reading your OP correctly you use the tablet wirelessly but the laptop wired, so have you tried the laptop wirelessly? I'm wondering if it could be a fault with the laptop microphone rather than the TP unit. Do you have a microphone that you could plug into the laptop to see if that resolves the problem?

I haven't used the laptop wirelessly in the garage but I have in the house and there doesn't appear to be a problem then.
I don't have an external mic but I will be trying it tomorrow without the ethernet connection, so that might give me the answer. :)

I use the Devolo power plugs in our very old house as the walls are a mile thick and they work well bet can be slow, perfect for browsing and music but try to move data over them and bamm.

I do also find they can bottom out a bit for no reason and sometimes I think it just has a moment with the house wires.

Back