Question re max memory speed

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at building a new pc and would like some clarity about max memory speed.

Looking at a core i7-8700 which has a max memory speed of 2666 for ddr4, the mainboard I'm considering is the Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 which quotes memory speed as this: Memory Speeds (MHz) : 2133 (2400 - 4000 O.C.).

I'm not looking to overclock this one (my current pc is mildly oc'd) so is there any point in using memory faster than 2133 ?

TIA

I'm also currently building a new PC, based around an i5-8600T and an Asus Strix H370-I. I went for 2400 RAM and the mobo accepted that speed just by setting XMP to On. The price difference between 2133 and 2400 is very small and there's much more choice at 2400 so I think it's the better option.

I had a new PC built earlier this year with the ASUS Prime Z370-P mobo and i5-8400 processor and so far am extremely pleased with it. I thought the A and P variants of the board had the same memory capabilities, in which case the A should be able to handle 2666 without over-clocking.

I chose to install 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 memory modules in mine to save a few quid and it's plenty fast enough for LR and PS - I don't do games.

The money saved on the slightly slower memory went towards a M.2 system drive and an SSD for downloading image files from my camera onto and for my LR catalogue to reside on. These two items make power-up and initial culling a breeze :)

I'm sure that whatever you decide to go with will be fine :)

There is no point. It hardly makes any difference to people using the computers. A computer is only as fast as the person using the computer.

Faster memory is only useful if you're playing heavy gaming like Call of Duty.

You would be better off thinking about the memory size (ie 8GB vs 16GB) rather than memory speed (ie: 2133 vs 2666), unless you are into heavy gaming.

As others said, memory speed is not critical for this user case. On the other hand I'd suggest going to dual channel mode instead of single, i.e. 2x8GB better than 1x16GB.

Back