Beginner Question regarding AF Assist Beam

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I was around a friends place earlier having a natter about photography & he was surprised at how quickly my 450D went out of focus in low light, he was further surprised that the in built flash or speedlite had to be connected to enable the AF Assist Beam. He allowed me to have a try of his crop sensor Nikon and I couldn't believe that my shots in low light were much more in focus than on my Canon, roughly using the same length of lens on both my Canon & his Nikon. Now one thing I did notice was that his Nikon had the assist beam come on without the flash turned on or the Speedlite attached, I was wondering if this was an exclusive feature of Nikon, or if that there are Canon Camera that can pull off the same type of beam if needed in low light, without having the flash on or Speedlite attached ?.

Many Thanks

John

I have no problems getting an object in focus in low light using my 450D.

If you have trouble getting an object in focus using your camera, then I would suggest you using Manual focus on a tripod.

If you have trouble getting an object in focus using your camera, then I would suggest you using Manual focus on a tripod.
Looking at your list of lenses, I'd suggest you and I have a different view of 'low light', my slow lenses are f/2.8 and I regularly struggle for focus even with 1.4 and 1.8 lenses and cameras with better focus systems than the 450d.

Back to the OP, Canon stopped fitting AF assist beams on camera bodies in the late 90's. I wasn't aware that Nikon still did it. Are you sure you were comparing like for like (lens quality and camera model spec)? I certainly wouldn't surmise that all Nikons were better than all Canons in low light focussing. I generally have to be 'in the dark' before I rely on AF assist beams.

I will have a go with a tripod but the low light that I am having problems with is the sort in venues for band photography without a flash, I can get the camera in focus for pretty sharp pictures but even with exposure bracketing, the pictures come out quite dark, it was then that I approached my friend for help.

Looking at your list of lenses, I'd suggest you and I have a different view of 'low light', my slow lenses are f/2.8 and I regularly struggle for focus even with 1.4 and 1.8 lenses and cameras with better focus systems than the 450d.

Back to the OP, Canon stopped fitting AF assist beams on camera bodies in the late 90's. I wasn't aware that Nikon still did it. Are you sure you were comparing like for like (lens quality and camera model spec)? I certainly wouldn't surmise that all Nikons were better than all Canons in low light focussing. I generally have to be 'in the dark' before I rely on AF assist beams.

My friend has a Nikon D7000 and used to do Nightclub / gig photography, but now does portraits & glamour, we were comparing with same ISO / Shutter speed & both with a 50mm lens using the same F Stop & his pictures came out more in focus and better ISO than the Canon.

Thanks for the replies tho :)

Well the D7000 is quite a step up from the 450d.

A 7d would match the D7000 for focussing, but I'm afraid the high ISO performance would still be lacking. That is the difference between the 2 marques.

Well the D7000 is quite a step up from the 450d.

A 7d would match the D7000 for focussing, but I'm afraid the high ISO performance would still be lacking. That is the difference between the 2 marques.

Thank you for that information Phil :). The camera I am considering in getting is a Canon 60D as that seems to take decent shots in low light where flash isn't allowed and at an ISO of 6400 expandable to 12800, it is a whole lot better than the 450D which has a Max of 1600. As I am still classed as an amateur in photography and still deciding on my favourite types of subject, I would like a body that can cope for most scenario's that isn't going to break the bank & that my current lenses would be compatible. :)

Thank you for that information Phil :). The camera I am considering in getting is a Canon 60D as that seems to take decent shots in low light where flash isn't allowed and at an ISO of 6400 expandable to 12800, it is a whole lot better than the 450D which has a Max of 1600. As I am still classed as an amateur in photography and still deciding on my favourite types of subject, I would like a body that can cope for most scenario's that isn't going to break the bank & that my current lenses would be compatible. :)
7d's are hideously good vfm currently. (y)

Our first one (well after the high launch price) was £1200, they're currently less than £400 in mint condition. Loads better focussing and handling than a 60d and the same sensor / ISO settings. One caveat: whilst you can set high ISO's, the IQ isn't anything to write home about.

7d's are hideously good vfm currently. (y)

Our first one (well after the high launch price) was £1200, they're currently less than £400 in mint condition. Loads better focussing and handling than a 60d and the same sensor / ISO settings. One caveat: whilst you can set high ISO's, the IQ isn't anything to write home about.

Wow thank you for that information, upon looking at the 7D on Snapsort I see that it has more focusing points than the 60D and has faster shutter etc, but is also weather sealed, all of which will come in more use than a high res flip screen. :D

It's a better camera by quite a way, if it had better IQ a decent second hand one would be £800 minimum, but years of being slagged off online, and it's about the 2nd best bargain on the market. The best being the original 5d which produces stunning images for pocket money prices. (Woeful AF though)

It's a better camera by quite a way, if it had better IQ a decent second hand one would be £800 minimum, but years of being slagged off online, and it's about the 2nd best bargain on the market. The best being the original 5d which produces stunning images for pocket money prices. (Woeful AF though)

I was checking my local supplier and they do the 60D from £345 in 9/10 condition and the 7D from £375 with various cosmetic damage or £420 for 9/10 condition. The 7D does look a lovely camera, but need to do further research before I part with my cash. :)

Can you check the classifieds here? Or MPB.

Yes I can check the classifieds here, haven't dealt with MPB before but will take a look at them as heard a lot of good reports about them. My local dealer is WEX, so was thinking of using them and trade in my 450D at the same time, to save the P&P.

There's a bargain 7d in the classifieds, the pop up flash doesn't pop up, it's a common issue and 5 minute fix, if I wanted a Canon crop body it would already have gone.

Back