Question Regarding Studio Flash

Name
Craig Denton
Edit My Images
Yes
Forgive me if this may seem a daft question.....

Im wanting to move on from bounce flash and a reflector, and am looking at a twin light kit.

What im unsure about is how the "flash" works.

Whenever i read reviews/how to's of studio setups, the lights are "on", but require a trigger to fire them.

Am i right in thinking the light emitted constantly is a lower level to allow you to move around the studio, and at the point of shutter release the intensity of the light increases or "flashes" to a preset level.

or...

Am i miles off:thinking:

thats about it.
the "modeling light" of about 150 to 250 watts is on all the time. allowing youto see where the flash is going to go, basicaly.
when you trigger the flash(cable from the camera, or wirelessly) the main flash tube "fires" , providing the main ilumination for your shot

Yes, the modelling light exists only to give you an idea of the effect the flash will produce. It is only an indication though, it isn't an accurate representation unless you're working in darkness.
The flash is exactly the same as the one built into your camera or on your hotshoe flash - just bigger. And it can be modified to produce very different effects, i.e. softlighting, hardlighting etc. And yes, the power is adjustable.

A hotshoe flash is triggered by an electrical impulse from the camera. With studio flash there isn't a direct connection between camera and flash unless you fit a PC cord between them, which is old technology now. They've been largely replaced by radio triggers, the transmitter normally clips into the hotshoe and sends a radio signal to the receiver, which is plugged into the flash head. This fires the flash at the right time.

Studio flashes are normally fitted with sensors which 'see' the flash from another head and which then fire, so only one receiver is needed.
Hope this helps.

Back