Question regarding using battery grips with sling straps, and also grip resale values.

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
99% of the time I carry my camera using a peak design sling strap using one of the camera lugs and then the tripod connector. Obviously if I used a grip this would block the tripod connector but the grip has it's own. Would the grip (and it's connection to the camera) be strong enough to take the weight of the camera and lens if I used the tripod connector of the grip to attach one of the ends of the strap? I have the black rapid but I would imagine this would be worse as it only has the one attachment, via the tripod connector.

Also, what are the resale values of the genuine battery grips like? IMO OEM battery grips are massively overpriced, but if you get a decent 'recovery' on them when you sell them on then it's not so bad I guess. For example, if I bought a genuine Nikon grip for £330 now what ballpark figure could I expect to get in 2 years time?

Yep, if screwed in tightly and correctly, the grip is strong enough to hold your camera/lens with one end of your Slide attached to it. But why use the tripod connector when there should be a tether slot on the underside of the grip to which you can attach a Peak Design anchor anyway?

Last edited:
The residuals on OEM grips don't seem to be great losing about a third of the value very quickly, that said in the main they're just plastic and extra grip.
The D850 one adds extra to the camera (FpS) so is likely to hold value better, there also aren't a lot of them around used which should help.

I recommend getting a 3rd party grip: essentially the same build quality as the OEM grip but much less expensive. The residual value of a grip is going to be dictated by the popularity/availability of the body it's specifically designed for.

I'm using BR straps (both single and double) with the D500 grip when shooting the 17-55mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f2.8 with no issues at all.

Can't help with the depreciation factor but personally shy away from very cheap 3rd party items. Spent many years project managing automotive and electronic OEM plastic mouldings in China and there most certainly is variation in what is known as "local" polymer grades, had many examples of raw polymer labelled as prime Bayer PC or PC/ABS that was actually 4th or 5th generation local material with a noticeable drop in mechanical/impact properties. Not saying all low cost after market parts are the same but I am wary!

GC

I've used a shoulder strap onto a grip with my D810/D500/D850 without any issues.
My D850 grip is OEM as it offers more for me as it works with BL-5 & En-EL18, (some 3rd-party grips do as well but not all), but the D810 and D500 had 3rd-party (Meike) grips and there were no problems at all ... I can see nothing in general use that warrants paying the grossly inflated OEM prices unless you really want/need the extra features.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. @Nifkin I didn't realise the grip had a separate anchor point tbh :oops: :$ I'm more than happy to use 3rd party, in fact I'd prefer it as I don't use the grip a lot, but it seems a bit hit and miss whether the third party grips give you the extra FPS on the D850.

Back