Question

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
If a 35mm camera typically has a 50mm lens and therefore a focal length of 50mm, and the negative measure 24 X 36mm, why is it called a 35mm camera? :D

In the same vein as 8mm and 16mm cine. 35mm is the width of the film.

neos said:
35mm is the width of the film.

Is of course correct. :D It's surprising how many furrowed brows that causes.

What is 'Subject Luminance Range' and how does it relate to a film's latitude?

I know this, but I'd have to get my Uni Notes back out of the attic to give you the textbook answer!

Or better still:

Describe in your own words the difference between Depth-of-Field and Depth-of Focus.

Arkady said:
Or better still:

Describe in your own words the difference between Depth-of-Field and Depth-of Focus.

Depth Of Field refers to the area in front of the lens which is in focus from the near to far distance. Depth Of Focus refers to the depth of acceptable focus behind the lens - at the film plane.

Of course if you really want to pick the bones out of it Depth of field does't really exist.

The plane of focus only ever exist as a two dimensional object and the area in front and behind this plane are only areas of acceptable sharpness. The concept of a depth of field as shown (less and less so) on lenses is little more than a guide and shrinks as you increase the enlargement of the image.

dazzajl said:
Of course if you really want to pick the bones out of it Depth of field does't really exist.
You're just trying to introduce a circle of confusion. :p

I've no idea what you lot are on about - Google would help but I guess that's not the point! :D

Back