Questions regarding 5DMk2's HD capability

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
If the people who have a 5D MK2 don't mind me asking, I have a few questions.

1 - Shooting from dark to light

a) When you are filming indoors like a church, what happens when you continue filming and go outside?
How does it adjust to the light?
Does it close the aperture automatically? or does it adjust the ISO?

b) if it adjust the ISO, then what if it's already set at ISO 400 and aperture 2.8 when you started filming and it is far too bright outside (summer, midday), clearly there are not enough stops to decrease the light to the sensor.

c) what happens in the the opposite situation?

2 - Focusing.

When you are shooting someone, and wants to then focus on someone else in the same shot.

a) Do you adjust the focus ring (if its set at manual)?
b) What if its set at Auto, how do you change focus to the person in the background?
c) How good is it at tracking moving subject? Say at F/4 on a couple dancing in low light, think wedding reception, disco light dancing.

3 - Sound recording

a) If the venue is really quiet, does it record your breathing as your head is the closest thing to it.

Thanks !!! (y)

1 - Shooting from dark to light

a) When you are filming indoors like a church, what happens when you continue filming and go outside?
How does it adjust to the light?
Does it close the aperture automatically? or does it adjust the ISO?

It has a giant filter that it sticks on the sun to adjust the light down to that of in the church

2 - Focusing.

When you are shooting someone, and wants to then focus on someone else in the same shot.

a) Do you adjust the focus ring (if its set at manual)?
b) What if its set at Auto, how do you change focus to the person in the background?
c) How good is it at tracking moving subject? Say at F/4 on a couple dancing in low light, think wedding reception, disco light dancing.

It has fixed focus and uses its super powers of the force to move the subject into focus.

3 - Sound recording

If the venue is really quiet, does it record your breathing as your head is the closest thing to it.

No - it has a robotic arm that comes out next to the battery port and shoves a sock in your mouth.

The ISO is the first thing that it adjusts to cope with changes in light. The focusing is completely manual, as is the zoom, obviously. The on board mic will record everything, including your hand rubbing on the body and things like that, which is why it has an input for an external mic if you want better quality audio recording.

So what happens if the ISO doesn't have enough room to adjust to the lighting? You get a overblown or underexposed video ? Unless you stop and start again ?

So what happens if the ISO doesn't have enough room to adjust to the lighting? You get a overblown or underexposed video ? Unless you stop and start again ?

Shutter speed adjusts, obviously it can't go under 1/30th, as far as I'm aware.

Shutter speed adjusts, obviously it can't go under 1/30th, as far as I'm aware.

shutter speed? you are not telling me when you are recording the video the shutter opens and closes 30 times a second ?

Shutter speed? Why would the shutter speed matter for the HD video function?

Sorry, I really do have it wrong. My shutter speed numbers fluctuate between 30/50 when I wave my hand over it, so I'm not sure what that is, or what's going on.

The 5D probably uses a rolling shutter, that is each line in the image is recorded sequentially. By varying how long the "exposure" for each line or frame you can vary the amount of light, longer means more light (and noise) but there will be limits. Too slow and you'll get noticeable effects such as skewing where the top of the image drags behind the bottom. Too fast and you'll hit an upper limit on how fast the h/w can process the data and keep up.

The physical shutter/mirror remains open throughout.

I am still confused with question 1 and most of question 2.

Anyone care to try an example of filming from indoor to outdoor?

It has a giant filter that it sticks on the sun to adjust the light down to that of in the church

It has fixed focus and uses its super powers of the force to move the subject into focus.

No - it has a robotic arm that comes out next to the battery port and shoves a sock in your mouth.

Foggy's right you know, I read it in the manual... Honest Guv !!!

It will just be like any other video camera I imagine. The majority of it will be controlled by the aperture, with the ISO increasing to help in low light. Shutter speed is irrelevant as it will always be be recording at 25fps (unless it has slow mo mode or anything).

My understanding is that you can't adjust the aperture - it's stuck at the widest the lens offers.

I could be wrong.

The aperture you can't change manually, however you can trick it by pointing it somewhere that selects the aperture that you want to use and then start filming. I'm looking forward to seeing all the tips and tricks people come up with.

oh, didnt realise that the aperture couldnt be adjusted during filming, in that case good original question :p

I'll have a wee play around at lunch time with my one and see what I can discover.

It will just be like any other video camera I imagine. The majority of it will be controlled by the aperture, with the ISO increasing to help in low light. Shutter speed is irrelevant as it will always be be recording at 25fps (unless it has slow mo mode or anything).

30fps

Back