Quick Cropping Software

Name
Chris Ratford
Edit My Images
Yes
Helllooooo

Prompted by the 'Do you crop' thread, it reminded me I really need to find a way to crop images quickly. I do a lot of mtb photography at races and due to the big range in riders ability I find it is much easier to shoot wider than you need to and them crop to reduce the risk of cutting heads off for people that jump higher than others. The question is, what software do you use for cropping loads of photos quickly. So far my options are:

Windows Picture Manager - You have to select crop ratio for each image, but it bulk saves when you quit the program.

Photoshop - Quick to crop, but takes a long time to save images separately. I guess I could create a macro to save and close all open images???

Faststone - Like photoshop, takes to long to save each photo after cropping.

Does anybody have any better suggestions for bulk photo cropping?

Why not create an action in Photoshop that opens each image from a file, allows you to crop it and then saves once you have cropped?

Exactly as scarecrow said. I would personally just setup a macro in photoshop. Makes it a lot easier.

I have it for anything that needs watermarking.

Get a Mac and use iPhoto. All images go to iPhoto (raw and jpeg) and the crop is a button press away.

(okay maybe a slightly expensive solution :) )

Vueprint if all you want to do is a quick crop, but thats JPEG Only NO Raw

Or

Google Picassa is quick and free and does both Raw & JPEG

What about canon DPP ? Should have come with your camera, if not download it from Canon

Highlight all the photo's you want to edit.( or select all)
click edit image window
click Trimming/angle
crop your image press next, crop your image press next ......repeat till finished click OK
Select batch process, input your quality settings, naming options and output folder etc
Job done

I use google picase for this,its nice & quick and does non-destructive editing so you can un-crop later if you want to change it

I use lightroom.

Dial the crop in, move on. Once I've done export the images in the format and size I require and go make a cuppa.

I use DPP for RAW processing but it appears my version doesn't have any angle or trimming options, unless I'm just being blind! For now I have set up an action in photoshop, F3 to crop them F4 to save so that should be nice and quick, I'm just about to try it out. I must give lightroom a go, everyone seams to rave about it.

How do I stop the JPEG save quality screen popping up every time I close a edited image, I want to default it at 100%?

I use DPP for RAW processing but it appears my version doesn't have any angle or trimming options, unless I'm just being blind! For now I have set up an action in photoshop, F3 to crop them F4 to save so that should be nice and quick, I'm just about to try it out. I must give lightroom a go, everyone seams to rave about it.

Make sure you've update to the latest version, 3.11.31.0

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:14-938419&SearchType=3

If you use a mac, 'preview' works well, just select a crop and paste it to a 'new from clipboard' it crops perfectly to exactly what you need.

For that money you could've got a mac! A proper computer

:blush:

How do I stop the JPEG save quality screen popping up every time I close a edited image, I want to default it at 100%?

Often, after cropping, I need to make sure the final file size is small enough to meet the requirements of the hosting site (for example, the gallery here which requires files under 200KB. Not great fot quality but saves the owners money since it reduces bandwidth), so the box allows me to roll the wheel to ensure the size is small enough. IIRQ, once the slider is set, it remains where it is for the next time the box appears - set it at 12 (max quality) and just hit the Enter key to save as at maximum quality. Please check this is the case - been a while since I used any PP.

Often, after cropping, I need to make sure the final file size is small enough to meet the requirements of the hosting site (for example, the gallery here which requires files under 200KB. Not great fot quality but saves the owners money since it reduces bandwidth), so the box allows me to roll the wheel to ensure the size is small enough. IIRQ, once the slider is set, it remains where it is for the next time the box appears - set it at 12 (max quality) and just hit the Enter key to save as at maximum quality. Please check this is the case - been a while since I used any PP.

I wondered if there was a way to stop it asking to save time pressing enter for each photo.

Back