Quick engagement shot - Blog post added

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Have the wedding for these guys next year and they booked an engagement shoot as an extra. I tried to make the images that I really want to on this one. The location helped and was beautiful. Of course, there is a full set but I haven;t done a blog post or anything just yet so here's one of my favourites. :)

There are versions in a landscape format, but I am trying to shoot portrait format more.

Just added the blog post to my site now if you want to look at the full set (not all as delivered).

http://www.garethmorton.com/blog1/andy-kara-snowdonia-engagement-on-film

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful dude... never failing to disappoint!

Hmm, it's lovely. However, given that the sky is just a blank off-white, it looks like a landscape to me anyway.

Great shot of them, but..
Hmm, it's lovely. However, given that the sky is just a blank off-white, it looks like a landscape to me anyway.
This is the one criticism.
When I opened the page I wondered if the photo had failed to load because the the top was so white.
Cloudy is good for difused light, but not so interesting to look at. Going for landscape and getting rid of the mass of white sky would improve it, in my opinion.

The couple do look a bit precarious though, I wonder who was holding who.

Did you get any with a longer reflection of them in the foreground?

I'm going to buck the trend a little- lovely shot but I would have liked to see a full reflection in the water- BUT, Maybe I've been shooting wildlife too long :p

Great shot of them, but..

This is the one criticism.
When I opened the page I wondered if the photo had failed to load because the the top was so white.
Cloudy is good for difused light, but not so interesting to look at. Going for landscape and getting rid of the mass of white sky would improve it, in my opinion.

The couple do look a bit precarious though, I wonder who was holding who.

Did you get any with a longer reflection of them in the foreground?

I'm going to buck the trend a little- lovely shot but I would have liked to see a full reflection in the water- BUT, Maybe I've been shooting wildlife too long :p

Thank you for the comments. Replying all together as it's all to the same point. :)

I do have landscape versions of this which have been delivered, I just like a portrait orientation recently, however none of them have a full reflection unfortunately. Below the frame, there are more rocks which mean no chance of a full reflection there. I was actually stood on a teeny rock myself barefoot to get this angle.

Thank you for the comments. Replying all together as it's all to the same point. :)

I do have landscape versions of this which have been delivered, I just like a portrait orientation recently, however none of them have a full reflection unfortunately. Below the frame, there are more rocks which mean no chance of a full reflection there. I was actually stood on a teeny rock myself barefoot to get this angle.

Thats a shame- it's still a lovely capture- just I do have a thing about full reflections ( maybe I need help) :p

Added the full blog link to the original post if you want to take a look at some in a landscape format. :)

Just looked at your blog - these are fantastic. Love the retro feel and the power is definitely in the set - so coherent, great style.

Lovely work! I hope you don't mind - I've shared your blog on my facebook page.

Bart

I am looking again and again at the photograph expecting to see them having fallen in the water ... have not fallen yet, bummer.

looking at the forearm muscels there is a pushing match going on
it would have been nice to see him falling backwards, then her going in coming up all wet
this shot is just nicely odd

I think you have spotted what is going through their minds. I will push you, no I will push YOU, and so on.

it would have been nice to see him falling backwards, then her going in coming up all wet

Are you on the wine again?

I can't see any unduly tensed muscles in this - in fact, they look quite relaxed for being in such a precarious position.

Also, next time you shoot this sort of thing (if you do), you try asking the couple, especially the female, who've clearly spent a lot of time and effort on their appearance to take a joint-header into the water for your amusement! Sheesh!

Great work BTW Gareth!

O danny boy the pipes the pipes are calling,, hiccup hiccup hiccup,me on the vino noooo

unduly tensed mumuscles hiccup hiccup

Lovely Gareth.

Thank you. :)

Just looked at your blog - these are fantastic. Love the retro feel and the power is definitely in the set - so coherent, great style.

Lovely work! I hope you don't mind - I've shared your blog on my facebook page.

Bart

Thank you, Bart and I have just seen the share notification. I really appreciate that and the kind words. Thanks so much. :)

Lovely set on the blog, and I prefer the portrait version of the opening shot here too :)

Dave

Thank you for taking a look at the blog post, Dave. Appreciated. :) I still like the portrait orientation too. I am trying to shoot it more.

I am looking again and again at the photograph expecting to see them having fallen in the water ... have not fallen yet, bummer.

Sorry to disappoint you. :/

Eh!? Definitely no pushing match going on, definitely to tension in the forearms. :)

I think you have spotted what is going through their minds. I will push you, no I will push YOU, and so on.

Not sure I agree.

Are you on the wine again?

I can't see any unduly tensed muscles in this - in fact, they look quite relaxed for being in such a precarious position.

Also, next time you shoot this sort of thing (if you do), you try asking the couple, especially the female, who've clearly spent a lot of time and effort on their appearance to take a joint-header into the water for your amusement! Sheesh!

Great work BTW Gareth!

Thank you for taking the time, Danny.

Sorry, I'm going to go against the grain..

I tried to make the images that I really want to on this one..... <snip> ... but I am trying to shoot portrait format more.

I think that shows. You've had an image in mind and made it; it looks terribly contrived and the portrait format doesn't suit it at all IMO

I also think that you could have found a much more satisfying composition with less clutter behind them if you'd got to the right and rather lower. The vast blank sky.. it's obviously deliberate but I don't think it adds anything to the picture, it doesn't change the mood of the shot or convey a feeling of space and being outside. It's just blank. Maybe it works better when printed? I'm not sure whether a full reflection would have added anything though.

All that said.. some of the others on the blog are superb, way better interaction and much more plausible.

Sorry, I'm going to go against the grain..

I think that shows. You've had an image in mind and made it; it looks terribly contrived and the portrait format doesn't suit it at all IMO

I also think that you could have found a much more satisfying composition with less clutter behind them if you'd got to the right and rather lower. The vast blank sky.. it's obviously deliberate but I don't think it adds anything to the picture, it doesn't change the mood of the shot or convey a feeling of space and being outside. It's just blank. Maybe it works better when printed? I'm not sure whether a full reflection would have added anything though.

All that said.. some of the others on the blog are superb, way better interaction and much more plausible.

Not totally against the grain, not everyone liked it. :)

I do appreciate your comments Simon. When I said the part you have quoted, I meant as a whole with the set, not just this one image.

Thank you for taking the time to view the whole blog post. :)

Lovely set, my only comment was about the reflection but I see you have already explained why that was not possible.... So next time could you ask the couple to balance on the smaller stone further out, I'm sure that won't be a problem :D

Lovely set, my only comment was about the reflection but I see you have already explained why that was not possible.... So next time could you ask the couple to balance on the smaller stone further out, I'm sure that won't be a problem :D

Thanks for commenting. :)

Reactions: lee
Back