quick one of my son

Edit My Images
Yes
My first real attempt at getting a posed photo of him but so all c&c welcome :)

pic4.jpg

Love the B and W treatment. Really suits the picture. I would like the black area to be lost on the right hand side, though.

Still very good and that is one HUGE teddy :LOL:

That's a cute shot, but you appear to have hit your focus right on the bear, leaving your son a little soft. Shooting at f1.8, even from that distance, is going to leave you very little room for error so you need to ensure you hit the focus bang on his eyes.
The lighting may not have been great (shot at 1/50) but you want to try and shoot with the nifty between f2.8 - f8 where it seem to be it's sharpest, even if you have to push the ISO up to 200/400.
Not too keen on the background either. It helps to have a plain background with this sort of portrait shot as it keeps the focus on your son. At the moment my eye keeps getting drawn up along the nice diagonals :)
The side lighting is also a little harsh on the left, so a reflector on the right would have evened the exposure out nicely (giving you an even overexposure a little), leaving you a little room to narrow the aperture for a better exposed, sharper shot. (y)

Please take the above as my constructive opinion on the shot and how you could improve it. It's a good attempt and you've done well to position your son and get him to smile(ish) so just a few tweaks and it's there :)

Last edited:
thanks for the c&c

Love the B and W treatment. Really suits the picture. I would like the black area to be lost on the right hand side, though.

Still very good and that is one HUGE teddy :LOL:
I agree the black is out of place which i will try to avoid next time :)

That's a cute shot, but you appear to have hit your focus right on the bear, leaving your son a little soft. Shooting at f1.8, even from that distance, is going to leave you very little room for error so you need to ensure you hit the focus bang on his eyes.
The lighting may not have been great (shot at 1/50) but you want to try and shoot with the nifty between f2.8 - f8 where it seem to be it's sharpest, even if you have to push the ISO up to 200/400.
Not too keen on the background either. It helps to have a plain background with this sort of portrait shot as it keeps the focus on your son. At the moment my eye keeps getting drawn up along the nice diagonals :)
The side lighting is also a little harsh on the left, so a reflector on the right would have evened the exposure out nicely (giving you an even overexposure a little), leaving you a little room to narrow the aperture for a better exposed, sharper shot. (y)

Please take the above as my constructive opinion on the shot and how you could improve it. It's a good attempt and you've done well to position your son and get him to smile(ish) so just a few tweaks and it's there :)

thanks a lot of helpful advice which i will take onboard and hopefully learn from, this is the first time i have tried doing indoor photography so was struggling getting the setting etc right but was fun learning.

unfortunatly we only had some little halogen ceiling lights to work with so lighting was far from ideal :(

And the only reason we sat him against the wood was because teh bottom half the walls is a funny brown colour so even less flattering than the wood
:LOL:

have read since about the nifty fifty preferring to shoot at a slightly higher f No. so will hopefully give it a go again soon :)

Back