Quick PC sync question

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I could just do with knowing if there is a setting that controls the PC sync ports on a D3 or D700 for that matter? Plugging the PC sync from the port on the front of the camera straight to the strobe won't fire it. But in my mind it's as if the D3 isn't being told to fire it anywhere, the LCD is clear of flash settings because the hotshoe is empty. And obviously the D3 doesn't have a built in flash. I've looked through and can't see any options so must be missing something obvious.

In the past I've always used wireless triggers for strobes which has worked well, however my triggers went kaput about the same time as I stopped using strobes so never actually replaced them as such. I have literally never used a PC sync cord for anything in my photography life!

Fast forward a couple of years, and I have a one off project in which using my s fit softboxes would be handy so dug the strobes out. Remembered that the triggers were kaput so started different methods to try and trigger them. First of all I can fire it using it as a slave from a speedlight on camera, but means having a speedlight on top of the camera which isn't the end of the world but adds weight. I have also tried using my yongnuo 622s to fire them which again worked nicely (and up to 1/8000 which was nice) But for my project I don't really want to rely on the triggers because it won't be constant shooting, so to preserve battery etc I decided to try just using the PC sync straight from the front of the camera. The camera will also be tethered and not moving a great deal so don't really foresee any massive problems, apart from the fact I can't get it to work :LOL:

I know it may be something daft, and probably is :LOL: I know the strobe works, I know the port on the strobe works, I know the PC sync cord works because that's what bridges the 622 to the strobe (which works) and I know the camera works when the 622 is triggered through the hotshoe. I know I get the same results when I try from a D3 or D700, so unless I have 2 faulty ports on the cameras I'm at a loss!

I don't have a D3 or D700, so this is a guess, but wondered if it could be something as simple as needing the camera to be set to manual (since it cannot do TTL via a PC Sync)?

Hi Andy,

The PC-Sync port always fires on Nikons regardless of whether it makes sense to do so... So you should at least see the head fire, even if it does this at the wrong time. There are no settings that affect the PC port apart from assigning the obscure function that suspends flash triggering to a function button (and holding said button down). It seems you have 2 faulty (or dirty?) ports or coincidence is playing with your mind and the cable has a break in it causing it to work intermittently. Give it the old wiggle test and make sure it's pushed in all the way. The manual warns you not to connect things to the Pc port when using a speedlight on-camera in rear curtain sync. It doesn't say what happens if you do :) No picture, random sync issues, camera blows up?... but just in case, remove speedlight or triggers from camera hotshoe ! Let me know if you need a control test - I don't have my D700 any more, but the Prontor Compur flash port dates back to 1930 so I don't think Nikon have changed the way it behaves so I can test things out on my D8xx bodies to see if they behave differently (they do definitely fire studio heads via a very long PC cord).

Owen

Perfect answer :) so I'm not losing my mind! Well not regarding this anyway :LOL:

I'll try again, perhaps try and wipe out any dirt that may have accumulated in the port. Come to think of it I even tried 2 separate sync cables (both brand new in packets but not necessarily operational) It's not the end of the world if I need to use the triggers, just would have been nice to get the cable working if it was going to be simple. It's a one off so not really looking too far into it, and certainly not buying anything when I have 2 perfectly feasible ways of doing it :)

Thanks again :D

I could just do with knowing if there is a setting that controls the PC sync ports on a D3 or D700 for that matter? Plugging the PC sync from the port on the front of the camera straight to the strobe won't fire it. But in my mind it's as if the D3 isn't being told to fire it anywhere, the LCD is clear of flash settings because the hotshoe is empty. And obviously the D3 doesn't have a built in flash. I've looked through and can't see any options so must be missing something obvious.....
I had exactly the same situation on my D700, very embarrassing as I'd set everything up and the lady was was just waiting, she went and made tea while I tried to sort it out. I had to use the pop up flash in the end to fire the strobes and I've not tried the sync cord since.

Back