quick question re: upgrading

Name
Liz
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi what's the next step up camera-wise from the Canon 1000d (which I believe has now been changed to the 1100d)?

I know when I bought the 1000d in Jessops 3yrs ago the next step up was obvious (although decided to go for the basic 1000d), but cant remember what it was.

Thank you!

:)been trying to research a bit and have come up with 600d, 100d, 700d. Any thoughts on these? price-wise I could do any of them - if the differences between them were worth it. Thanks in advance

I'd say the logical upgrade is the 600d / 700d but a lot depends on the shortcomings you are now experiencing. [I was a Nikon user for a long time so not really familiar with the Canon lineup.]

When you got the 1000D, it was likely the 500D that was the next step up.

What makes you want to upgrade?

What lenses do you have? A good lens can make a greater difference to your shooting.

I'd say the logical upgrade is the 600d / 700d but a lot depends on the shortcomings you are now experiencing. [I was a Nikon user for a long time so not really familiar with the Canon lineup.]

When you got the 1000D, it was likely the 500D that was the next step up.

What makes you want to upgrade?

What lenses do you have? A good lens can make a greater difference to your shooting.

Thanks for the reply! I am going round in circles!

Main probs are camera can be a bit slow sometimes (not all the time though), but on occasion you can miss the moment because its 'busy'. Am very hit & miss with images being in focus or not, would quite like a video function, very hit & miss results in lower light level situations.

Lenses just have the 18-55 IS and the 'nifty fifty'.

Completely accept that my own skill (or lack of) may be to blame but have enough money to upgrade so figure its worth a shot.

The Tamron 17-50 is a good option for you as an upgrade to the 18-55. It has a 2.8 aperture all the way from 17mm - 50mm so will give you a better result in low light situations.

When you say the camera is "a bit slow sometimes" do you mean that it takes it a while to respond, that it is slow to find focus, or that it is slow in shutting the shutter and so there is blur in the final image?

The Tamron 17-50 is a good option for you as an upgrade to the 18-55. It has a 2.8 aperture all the way from 17mm - 50mm so will give you a better result in low light situations.

When you say the camera is "a bit slow sometimes" do you mean that it takes it a while to respond, that it is slow to find focus, or that it is slow in shutting the shutter and so there is blur in the final image?

slowness tends to happen if my son is playing & I am trying to photograph him, it will do a few shots, then suddenly say 'busy' for a few secs and its sods law that's when he actually looks at the camera!

thought about the 50-250 lens to be able to zoom in on him more again when playing (son is pretty much the main thing I take pics of!)

Found a good website which recommends the 700d over the 100d, now just trying to get a comparison of the 600d with the 700d.

slowness tends to happen if my son is playing & I am trying to photograph him, it will do a few shots, then suddenly say 'busy' for a few secs and its sods law that's when he actually looks at the camera!

That could be your memory cards. If you haven't got decent SD cards then they will be 'buffering' as the images are written to it

The 55-250 lens is a great lens for the money btw

700D is a nice option, but perhaps checkout the used section for a low mileage 7D (if it is not too large for you). The 700D and 7D share the same sensors, but the 7D has much superior build, has far better autofocus, and higher FPS with a greater buffer.

The 700D is currently listed on DigitalRev.com for £479, making it a bit of a bargain. A nice condition used 7D will cost around £500.

Last edited:
That could be your memory cards. If you haven't got decent SD cards then they will be 'buffering' as the images are written to it

The 55-250 lens is a great lens for the money btw

The memory card speed only makes a difference to clearing the buffer, the problem is that the buffer fills up too quickly on the lower end cameras.

Personally I'd recommend a SH better body over a new lower end one. Faster AF, Faster burst rate, Bigger buffer are all things that'll genuinely help the OP, Pair it with better glass and you have a winning combination.

A new 600d or 700d and a 50-250 will just be more of the same (ish).
A 40d and 17-50 (ish) 2.8 will be a massive improvement in every way, and cheaper.

People who are used to using entry level cameras and kit zooms are astounded by the speed of operation when they pick up my gear (far from modern or top of the range:)), when I pick up a low end camera with a kit lens it feels like the worlds gone into slow motion:puke:.

Agree with Orville and Phil as if your main reason for upgrading is speed a used 7D is the answer (assuming your budget is around £500).

As with any decision with a wide number of options it may help to do a quick bit of decision analysis.

- List the 10 things you want from a new camera
- Categorise the 10 into must have and nice to haves
- Run the camera options within your budget through the list
- Any that don't satisfy all of the must haves get thrown out immediately

You will then have a much, much smaller list and can compare the nice to haves to get your answer. Stick with the answer, no second guessing or doubts now!

Second hand body is a good way to go, but good lenses make a huge difference. Check out mpb photographic for good kit with warranty.

Lens wise, the efs-15-85 is a great lens

Last edited:
The 1000d is known to have a slow buffer. As above, the 40D is a nice choice but depends how it feels in your hands. It is a heavier camera. Bigger too.

Back