Quick shot with new studio flash

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I have got a set of Elinchrome D-lite 2 and just want peoples opinion on the following shots, It is the first time I have used Studio Flash and really tried any Portrait photography seriously. C&C greatly appreciated. I know the background is rubbish, I am waiting for mine to arrive so I improvised and used the curtains.

MilliePortrait024.jpg

MilliePortrait011.jpg

Ok Dave, honest feedback coming up (y)

1st shot: Cute model. I feel that if you have tried to go for a slightly older feeling portrait then you have succeeded - I do however feel that it looks a tad "misty" & could do with a slight contrast increase & a sharpen. Your framing definitely doesn't work for me though & I feel that it lets the portrait down, there is a lot of empty space at the top & the right-hand side being clipped off doesn't help either.

2nd shot: Love it, excellent shot imo - once again I feel that it is a slightly older, more vintage style portrait, the complementary green & red work really well together & I really like the cropping (could withstand a bit of a sharpen & a slight drop in saturation though.)

Introducing a reflector to lift some detail in the more shadowed areas may help a great deal if you wish to lighten them but I personally would just give it a very slight levels boost.

Please bear in mind that my opinion above will most probably not match up with standard studio advice to improve these images - this is because I actually like the older look & feel of these images. I feel that you have achieved a different effect & I would personally see where this style will take you before going for the more standard style shot.
2nd shot is excellent in my opinion, well done (y)

Moomike, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it, I will only learn from errors and people being honest enough to tell me. It's funny I put them up on another forum and they got ripped apart, I am not saying that they were wrong but it just goes to show how subjective photography is.
Anyway just another quick one from today

_DSC3028.jpg

I have only cropped this and slight sharpening in Picasa as I was at the parents when I took it so photoshop wasn't at hand

Regards

Dave

As you've said, you are waiting for a backdrop, so I wont comment on it :) I will say you can use all sorts of backgrounds though, a well lit white wall works better :)

Back