Quick simple question or two

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
I just bought a secondhand 40D from a local photography shop, but they told me there is no way of knowing the shutter count. I have been looking online though, and everybody seems to know their own. So, my question is......how do I find out the shutter count please?
Also, it came with software discs, so I can download the software, but it will want me to register I guess. What will it ask for? Serial number of the camera etc? Will this be ok if it has already been registered by its previous owner?
Any help appreciated (y)

Not sure about the 40D, but the last time I needed to check shutter count, I used Opanda Exif?

Put a card into the camera and snap a frame. Then take that specific photo and run it through the software. In the details, it should give you a shutter count number.

Not sure about the 40D, but the last time I needed to check shutter count, I used Opanda Exif?

Put a card into the camera and snap a frame. Then take that specific photo and run it through the software. In the details, it should give you a shutter count number.

Cheers @R.Y.K. LEE . I have seen something online called EOSinfo?? But until I download the camera utility, I can't use it. I guess it's the same with opanda?
Is opanda free?

Just take a low rez jpeg and get it onto your computer then upload it to MyShutterCount free to use with no sign up or sign in.

Eosinfo will work with your 40d but as you said it does cost. It was only £1 odd when I last used it though

Last time I checked, Opanda was a freeware? Or go with myshuttercount, as suggested in another post :)

Ok, thanks guys. A few options then :)
What about the discs which came with the camera? Can I just download the software from them without registering?

No you don't have to register to download the latest versions of the software. You usually have to install the software from the disk first or it won't install the updates.

Ok, thanks guys. A few options then :)
What about the discs which came with the camera? Can I just download the software from them without registering?

Hi

Put the discs in your PC and install them, then go to Canon Europe and choose the 40D and install the latest versions of the software from their site.

By installing the discs, this then allows you to install the updates and any future updates they release.

Enjoy your 40D. It's a great camera.

Brilliant :)
Thanks for helping me out :)
I heard they are good, and it was at a price I could afford. A1 condition, with the battery grip and 6 mths warranty (y)
Can't wait to have a play :banana:

Might be quicker to download and install Opanda :)

I have checked out Opanda, and I can only see reference to Nikon, and no example of shutter counts in the sample images.
I have given up on myshuttercount. I don't think it works with Canon either. :(
I may just give up, and just enjoy the camera (I may be better off 'not' knowing :D).

I have checked out Opanda, and I can only see reference to Nikon, and no example of shutter counts in the sample images.
I have given up on myshuttercount. I don't think it works with Canon either. :(
I may just give up, and just enjoy the camera (I may be better off 'not' knowing :D).

Did it come with any warranty when you bought it? Maybe it is best not to know. I've seen/heard people who have shot well past the cameras expected shutter life and their gear is still going strong. But same goes for people who have bought brand new, and having something fail on it after days/weeks of using it sparingly.

If it's working as intended, enjoy it :)

It has 6 Months warranty, and it's in excellent condition. A little bit of wear on the mode dial. I don't think it has ever had a flash connected to it. It's 'almost' like new.
Very pleased with it so far. I just need to wade through the manual now, but I can work out a lot of it anyway.
All I need now is a 100-400mm L Series, but I can 'dream on' as they say :D. Maybe one day!

Thanks @daza .......... 55k . Is that a lot? It's obviously been looked after during all of its use.

I wouldn't have thought so. I think the 40D was replaced on 2008 and so it's probably at least 7 years old? If you have any concerns you could have the camera serviced but I seem to recall they were rated for 100k+ shutter activations.

I loved my 40D. A great camera that enabled me to learn so much.

I paid for the shutter count on my 40D although can't remember the website I used. It was only about a quid fifty but useful for me as I was selling the camera and couldn't get an accurate count from any of the upload jpeg sites.

I wouldn't have thought so. I think the 40D was replaced on 2008 and so it's probably at least 7 years old? If you have any concerns you could have the camera serviced but I seem to recall they were rated for 100k+ shutter activations.

I loved my 40D. A great camera that enabled me to learn so much.

Yes 100k life expectancy, and I won't being using very often to be honest. The camera has been serviced prior to sale I believe (shop purchase).

I paid for the shutter count on my 40D although can't remember the website I used. It was only about a quid fifty but useful for me as I was selling the camera and couldn't get an accurate count from any of the upload jpeg sites.

The eosinfo tool has worked ok for me. Simple, but effective :)

Exactly the same experience, sold my 40D and i had to pay to get the shutter count. All free option didn't seem to work with the 40D

Thanks @daza .......... 55k . Is that a lot? It's obviously been looked after during all of its use.

Half way through its life apparently according to canon but I wouldn't worry about it people have gone way over 100k (link), if mine played dead tomorrow I'd just most likely go get another as there pretty cheap or a 50D as I point blank refuse to rebuy all my memory cards in SD format I've sank to much into compact flash these past few years.

Half way through its life apparently according to canon but I wouldn't worry about it people have gone way over 100k (link), if mine played dead tomorrow I'd just most likely go get another as there pretty cheap or a 50D as I point blank refuse to rebuy all my memory cards in SD format I've sank to much into compact flash these past few years.

Well I hope that if it does go, that it goes within 6 months! I understand where you are coming from, and I wanted a CF camera again, and one which took the same batteries as the 400D. The 40D 'are' different, but I did get 2 with it, and they aren't too expensive to buy. I always buy 1gb cards in case they fail. I wouldn't want to lose 'all' of my work. I would be gutted.
I do need to buy a new cable release though, as that is different too.

Back